VOGONS

Modern power supply with a retro pc.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once fixed a computer that someone had bought a pre built pc and whoever had built the pc had put the power cable going to the blu ray drive into a PCI-E connector in the power supply and because that the pc didn't turn on but turned on immediately when I connected the power cable correctly. Good thing there must have been some kind of protection in the psu that nothing broke because of it.

Reply 21 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Little off topic but this is why I've been only purchasing one brand of PSU's in the last 10 years. (Corsair)
Didn't go to plan with my first to PSU's but since then they have pretty much standardised their cables so my older system gets all the unused Molex cables unused from my newer Sata PCI-E heavy builds.

What gave me the idea was the older systems when I found more and more normal PSU's had "useless" sata connectors

Reply 22 of 23, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AGP port can provide up to 48W (depending on AGP version) to the graphics card as well, so not all of those 74W will come straight from the molex.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.