VOGONS

First post, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because my Pentium Pro desktop machine did not have Pentium Pro sticker at the front, I had to buy an unopened, factory sealed CPU to have the sticker. I've got one from Ebay around 90USD with shipping included. It is the weaker 180MHz version with 256K cache, but whatever I just need the sticker.
Actually I've find it very interesting to open up the old package, because it was meant to be opened 22 years ago! Fortunately it was packed really carefully, like they knew the CPU will sit there for long time. I've shoot some photos of the process in case if some of you are interested,

L6wa7xh.jpg
Very good unopened condition

j0UjgKI.jpg
It was really not opened ever before

hRPP2Nb.jpg
Strong transparent plastic keeps the CPU and it is cooler in safe

7fnQE7j.jpg
The content of the package. There is the sticker too what I've looked for so badly

xya7Vjk.jpg
The sticker just got placed into it's place, the goal is accomplished!

If we are at this point, lets go further to see the CPU itself too

yw9nmjb.jpg
I had to brake off those ears to be able to get out the CPU

6IhX9UP.jpg
The heat sink and the CPU are separated inside

hwZsV0a.jpg
The holder opens in three way

pUEtrLO.jpg
Here it is! Interesting on the sides the time did some black spots to the gold, like it corroded.

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

like it corroded

Best used before the end of 1996 🤣

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 9, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see yours has got a fan. My PP180 machine came without a fan, just a passive HS glued to the CPU. It runs very hot and I've worried about overheating.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 9, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

I see yours has got a fan. My PP180 machine came without a fan, just a passive HS glued to the CPU. It runs very hot and I've worried about overheating.

Of course, i would not use them without proper coolong. The factory cooler is loud, so I installed a modern Zalman on it;

thUH2pU.jpg

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 6 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative CD-ROM, both floppy drive types, DUEL PPro's
Looks like my kind of system, I like! 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
uhh how are you planning on cooling the 2nd PPro?

its aircooled 😁

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board