VOGONS

First post, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm looking to rebuild the first PC I ever owned which was purchased second hand for me in late 99 for Christmas. This was where I learnt all about Windows through trial and a lot of error 🤣 It was never stable and always crashed probably due to being riddled with malware and having a ton of different GPU drivers installed from different manufactures as I tried to stop it from crashing in games (seriously, even Cossacks would crash on this system).

Anyway, I want to recreate this build and see how far I can push it but I'm struggling on one or two points.

It had, to the best of my knowledge-

PII 223MHz
32MB SDRAM
Gigabyte Motherboard with onboard video?
Voodoo 2
C-Media Sound Card
15" CRT

The first issue is the CPU, I can swear blind it was a 223MHz CPU but everywhere I look online says the PII series started at 233MHz? Could there have been a bios setting running the CPU 10MHz slower or am I just remembering this detail incorrectly?

The second is the motherboard. I don't remember ever having a dedicated 2D card in this machine and when I borrowed my friends copy of Episode 1: Racer it would never let me boot the game as only 28MB RAM would show in the hardware analyzation screen. This leads me to believe the motherboard was reserving 4MB RAM for the onboard GPU? Was that a thing during that era? I can't think of any other reason only 28MB would show.

Reply 1 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No such thing as a PII 223. 233Mhz is the correct speed. It is possible that the motherboard was displaying the speed improperly or there was a BIOS setting for "stability" or "compatibility" that slightly underclocked the processor, but more likely, it is an incorrectly remembered detail. 😉

Yes to the 2nd question. There may have been a BIOS setting to change how much system RAM the onboard graphics used, which may have helped in certain situations with minimum RAM settings. Didn't seem to help with Racer though. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hang on...

4MB integrated video with a Pentium II? Not very likely. The first integrated chipsets for Intel CPUs (i810, SiS620 etc) only arrived by the time you had Pentium 3 and Celeron Mendocino systems which ran much faster than 233 (or 223...) MHz. Theoretically it would be possible to stick a Pentium 2-233 on say a Gigabyte GA-6WMM Slot 1 i810 board, but that's a very unlikely combination, particularly as due to Intel pricing policy, the early P2 CPUs were more expensive than vastly better performing Celeron CPUs at the time of the i810.

So I think it's far more likely you had a socket 7 CPU with integrated VGA. SiS had been doing that since 1996. That also provides more speed options...

The Cyrix MII-300GP ran at 3x75=225MHz. You only need a tiny clock error to get that to display at 223MHz. I suspect you might have had an MII 300GP running at 3x 75MHz on a (Gigabyte) motherboard with SiS5596 or 5598 chipset, such as the Gigabyte GA-586MS.

Reply 5 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an HP Vectra with a PII 400 and integrated Matrox G100 with 4MB. I believe it has the Intel 440LX chipset.

Reply 6 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

I have an HP Vectra with a PII 400 and integrated Matrox G100 with 4MB. I believe it has the Intel 440LX chipset.

That's not integrated, it's onboard. The difference matters: onboard chips are basically the same as chips on a card, with their own RAM. That board would behave identically to a board without onboard VGA with a Matrox G100 AGP vard. Integrated VGA shares system RAM. TS clearly describes losing 4MB of system RAM to VGA, which means it's integrated.

Reply 7 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

That's not integrated, it's onboard. The difference matters: onboard chips are basically the same as chips on a card, with their own RAM. That board would behave identically to a board without onboard VGA with a Matrox G100 AGP vard. Integrated VGA shares system RAM. TS clearly describes losing 4MB of system RAM to VGA, which means it's integrated.

Good point, I missed that nuance.

Reply 8 of 9, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's interesting to note dionb. Having 4MB reserved for the GPU was definitely a thing, I remember being really irritated that I couldn't play Episode 1: Racer on my own PC after being impressed seeing it with my friend at the local Tiny store. Of course looking back now I'm sure I could have played it just by running the main exe file but this was all brand new to me back then.

I always assumed I had a Slot 1 cpu as apposed to Socket 7 but thinking back now I can't say for sure that was the case. The next PC I owned had a Slot 1 CPU so I might be mixing the two up.

I'm going to end up building a Socket 7 and Slot 1 setup now I just know it 😵

Reply 9 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣. Yup. I decided to rebuild my first (non-OEM) PC recently as well. Now I have 7. It really didn't help that a local warehouse was throwing away a pallet of old PCs. It was like walking into a pound where they are running low on kennels.