VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I bought a new unopened OEM replacement Western Digital Caviar 1425 HDD that was a Compaq replacement part. It's 426MB and I have been trying to install it with nothing but issues. I have jumpered the stock Seagate ST3391A hard drive in ever way I can think of it seems. It should be jumpered as either "Master and Slave Cable Select" or the Jumper removed for "Master and Slave is ATA Compliant or Standalone". and I have tried various combos of these with the jumpers on the WD drive being set to both Slave and Cable Select. I am using a newer ATA/133 IDE cable as it is all I have.

The system will never try to boot past the configuration screen that shows all the memory specs and such in the grey summary box despite Windows 95 and 3.11 being installed properly on the Seagate that is C: and is Master. I was only able to boot from a DOS 6.22 floppy bootdisk and was able to use fdisk and format commands to create a properly setup partition (non active) on the WD drive with everything hooked up as stated above. Remove that bootdisk and restart and it still will not boot from the Seagate. I even tried using that secondary IDE connector to run just the WD on it's own channel with the Seagate on the Local Bus IDE connector and still no dice. What gives?! I have never had this issue before!

Reply 1 of 1, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to update, I removed the jumper from the Segate Drive and left everything else connected as it was and it booted Windows, HOWEVER I remembered I did not add the WD drive in BIOS so I went in and did the auto configure and rebooted and now it sticks at that summary again. What the heck?

EDIT::::::::::::::::: Got it. This Segate drive refuses to be on the same channel as anything else. Finally got the WD drive working on the secondary channel jumpered as Slave.