VOGONS

First post, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm fiddling with a PCI soundcard in a 486 DX4/100 system. The options in the AMI BIOS are very limited for IRQ settings. I have 4 settings that go like:

1st available IRQ 10
2nd available IRQ 11

and so on. The settings in autoexec.bat seem to work. Soundcard is initialised (and gets IRQ 10, I can see that in sbinit.ini). The moment it does I can hear something coming alive out of the speakers (soft noise). But everything I do after that results in a lockup of the system. Doesn't matter if it uses sound or not. Just simple typing edit will lock it up.

It is a Creative CT4810. I have several of those. I tried them all and got the lock up every single time. So the card is ok. The solution must be in the bios. Hope someone solved this allready.

This is the output from the autoexec.bat file. When I change the bios settings it changes too. So it finds the IRQ.

file[4112] (Medium).jpeg
Filename
file[4112] (Medium).jpeg
File size
222.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 1, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I have understood things correctly 486 motherboards with PCI don't support any dma methods through PCI. No ddma or anything like that.
You probably have to stick with ISA sound cards in 486.

Edit: yamaha card with dsdma might work though if you really want pci card in 486.