VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Vogons

I recently acquired a HP OEM PC with an ASUS ASUS P2B-VE motherboard, a pentium III 500mhz 512kb cache CPU, some SDRAM, integrated rage pro graphics, and other goodies. The motherboard, nearest I can tell, is an i440bx chipset.

The motherboard has an AGP 2x and an ISA slot, so I see promise in it as a general purpose retro gaming machine. What I have in mind is really great performance with windows 98 games, some DOS and maybe even some early windows XP games.

The first thing I am curious about is upgrading the CPU. I have found 866mhz Slot 1 p3s on ebay for pretty cheap, and I have also found a 370 slot adapters. I am not sure if the motherboard runs at 100mhz fsb or if it is capable of 133mz. I checked the bios, and it has zero in the way of CPU or DRAM controls, I can basically only change the boot device and not much else. So whatever frequency the bus runs at, I am stuck with it.

If I get a 370 socket adapter and a 1ghz copper mine p3, am I likely to run into any troubles? If I buy a slot 1 p3 CPU rated for 866mhz, would I be likely to run into any issues there?

At the moment, I am thinking about pairing the PC with an Nvidia MX460 or MX440 because they are cheap and fast enough that my CPU is going to be the bottleneck anyway. For a bit more money, I could get an ti4200, but would that be worth it? What about an ati 8500? I am targeting 1280x1024 at 60fps, the 60fps being the most important.

I am also considering getting a socket 470 board instead and just using the case and the peripherals, if that would be more worth while.

Reply 1 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The P2B is an i440BX chipet motherboard, as such it can theoretically run at 133MHz FSB but it has no 1/2 AGP divider so your AGP will continue to run at 2/3 (89MHz), which will be a No-No for many cards you want to run, and likely not a healthy thing for the others that actually do run. Also depending on the motherboard revision it may or may not even support low voltage Coppermines, so 133MHz support may be irrelevant regardless; feel free to check here: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well shit. Thanks for letting me know. Might just end up getting a socket 470 board after all.

I assume my current CPU is running at 100fsb correct? 500mhz is not a speed demon, but it is still a pentium 3, and I'll be focusing on 2000ish and earlier games. Is that enough? If my CPU is running at 100mhz fsb, do my AGP prospects improve at all?

EDIT: According to wikipedia I have a first revision Katmai, which runs at 100fsb.

Reply 3 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only you can say if the 500MHz P3 is 'enough' for your applications - give it a go and see.

If you decide to look for an So370 board, be aware there are three different, non-forwards compatible versions: PPGA (Mendocino Celeron only), FC-PGA (Coppermine P3 and Celeron as well as Mendocino, but no Tualatin) and FC-PGA2 (Tualatin and Coppermine support but no Mendocino). Be aware of what you are looking for. If you want higher performance than with your current P3, avoid PPGA. FC-PGA2 sounds great but can be hard to come by and rarely has ISA slots, limiting its usefulness with DOS.

Reply 4 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Only you can say if the 500MHz P3 is 'enough' for your applications - give it a go and see.

If you decide to look for an So370 board, be aware there are three different, non-forwards compatible versions: PPGA (Mendocino Celeron only), FC-PGA (Coppermine P3 and Celeron as well as Mendocino, but no Tualatin) and FC-PGA2 (Tualatin and Coppermine support but no Mendocino). Be aware of what you are looking for. If you want higher performance than with your current P3, avoid PPGA. FC-PGA2 sounds great but can be hard to come by and rarely has ISA slots, limiting its usefulness with DOS.

What I think I am going to do is just buy a graphics card and play some games. If performance at 500mhz isn't where I need it to be, I am just going to upgrade to a pentium 4.It is cheaper to get a whole socket 478 platform than upgrade to another p3 setup.

Reply 5 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote:
dionb wrote:

What I think I am going to do is just buy a graphics card and play some games. If performance at 500mhz isn't where I need it to be, I am just going to upgrade to a pentium 4.It is cheaper to get a whole socket 478 platform than upgrade to another p3 setup.

Pro-tip: instead go for an Athlon XP instead. Just as cheap, less hot and therefore error-prone.

Reply 7 of 8, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be aware of your AGP slot's capabilities. All of my PII boards are keyed as 3.3V only, so you need an older card (late Voodoo era) or a universal card. Luckily, universal AGP cards are easy to find.

IMO, the P3 is a great circa-2000 platform to be on. I prefer i815 and Tualatin for low-power, high-performance, but i810 and a 600-900MHz FC-PGA is good too. As someone else mentioned, if you want to run DOS games with sound, try to make sure you get either an ISA slot, or check for an SB-Link header on the board.

I would reserve the P4 for XP, personally. Or even a Core 2 Duo -- they're cheap and plentiful still, and there's not much you can do on a P4 that you can't on the Core 2s.

If I had to choose a minimal line-up to cover a wide history, it would be a 386, a Pentium MMX, a P3, and a Core 2.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot 1 makes a great DOs/Win9x cross over PC but as all cross overs it is a compromise.

Put a sound card in that isa slot and 99% of even the most demanding dos game will run fine, catch is some games will run too fast.
Decent AGP card and PCI sound card and majority of Win9x games will run ok, catch is not quite powerful enough to max out the settings on some games.

My P3 600 Katmai is my favorite Win9x gaming PC, Mostly because that's the one with the Voodoo 2 SLI, but still find the games run good enough and any that dont run in WInXP anyway