VOGONS

First post, by ookamithewolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I have a problem. Last year I picked up a HP Pavilion 8400A desktop PC for $5. I bought it for the case but when I plugged it in I found out it worked great. I set it up with tons of old games and applications. I used it every few weeks, until last week it all went wrong. When booted, it made it as far as the desktop before freezing. I re-set it and it seemed to go fine, but I blue-screened while i was trying to insert a usb storage stick. I re-booted, only to have the PC freeze halfway through scandisk. I re-booted again, but this time nothing. The lights on the tower light up, but the monitor stays asleep. There's no signal. It won't post

I took the hard drive out (a nice Quantum bigfoot )and tried to boot from another hard drive. nothing. I took the quantum and put it in another machine, and it booted fine, so i know it's not the hard drive. I re-installed the Quantum into the HP and tried an untested new-old stock power supply I had. Still nothing. The only thing I haven't tried is taking a power supply I know works and trying it with that. Any ideas on what might be the culprit here? Stats below

Pentium II 233MHZ
Quantum Bigfoot 8.4GB hard drive
Maxxor 20GB slave drive
256 mb Ram
unknown power supply/motherboard/sound card

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the CPU needs the edge contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser. Same goes for the RAM and possibly any add-in cards.

Oxidation on the contacts can cause all kinds of problems.'

If cleaning the contacts on the CPU and RAM doesn't help, I would guess that maybe a stick of RAM died.

Could also be that the motherboard died or the capacitors on the motherboard need to be replaced.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by ookamithewolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Maybe the CPU needs the edge contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser. Same goes for the RAM and possibly any add-in cards. […]
Show full quote

Maybe the CPU needs the edge contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser. Same goes for the RAM and possibly any add-in cards.

Oxidation on the contacts can cause all kinds of problems.'

If cleaning the contacts on the CPU and RAM doesn't help, I would guess that maybe a stick of RAM died.

Could also be that the motherboard died or the capacitors on the motherboard need to be replaced.

I'll try giving everything a good cleaning. I'm going to try another power supply as well just to rule it out. The CPU is a bit difficult as I can't seem to get it out.

Reply 4 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also try replacing, or simply boot without the CMOS battery. Experienced all kinds of strange behavior when the CMOS battery has been on its way to go flat.

Reply 6 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like said earlier, check the caps as well, this was the begining of the capacitor plague, so your computer might have some

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative