Fair use/fair dealing exception

June 1997

Reply 62 of 75, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pbuser wrote:

Do you have any other ads featuring Packard Bell computers ?

Maybe, Packard Bell wasn't a frequent advertiser in Dutch pc magazines, if I have others they most likely come from leaflets.

Reply 63 of 75, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nvm1 wrote:

Nice post/ads, good to see the setups from those years and the sometimes odd way of advertising.
Also a lot of brands/names that are now gone forever 🤣

I like these 90's ads, especially the ones with females promoting boring beige boxes 😊

Yes most brands are long gone and almost all retailers are gone too.

Reply 64 of 75, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I don't know why today's youth complain so much about the prices of computers today. I think computer prices today are a bargain.

Yes and no. You can still build a € 3000 pc if you want to, but you can also buy a cheap € 500 pc.

Reply 66 of 75, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been 25 years and yet the sight of some of those desktop PCs makes my heart flutter! As a young teenager, I used to look at these pictures, knowing I'd never get a PC like that (my father insisted on getting overpriced IBM PCs that were always a year behind on specs - on the up side, they all survived perfectly and are excellent machines for retro gaming!).

I saved all my old PC games magazines - I own every single PC Gamer issue from issue 0 (yes, a test issue which I got from one of the staff since he knew I was a huge fan - it contains an unreleased interview with Terry Pratchett) all the way to issue 130 where I couldn't afford the subscription anymore (I finished college and was unemployed for two years). It's really a trip back in the past to read them - it makes me recall the excitement of seeing games that pushed the boundaries of what was possible at the time.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 68 of 75, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for scanning and sharing.
Here is one I just scanned myself from Hoog Spel no.29 August 1994.

Challenge: Find an ad that has a Cyrix Cx5x86 for sale.
Even the book series "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" seems unware of its existence.

Attachments

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 69 of 75, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have many french mags from the mid-nineties up to 2000, but I kinda wish I kept the older edition of the Surcouf store paper catalogues, which were about 100-150 pages long...

51ElFeH-wAL.jpg
Filename
51ElFeH-wAL.jpg
File size
46.83 KiB
Views
File license
000005402_87.jpg
Filename
000005402_87.jpg
File size
27.37 KiB
Views
File license

Some ads from end of 1994/early 1995:

PCFUN 001 - Page 037 (1994-11).jpg
Filename
PCFUN 001 - Page 037 (1994-11).jpg
File size
888.43 KiB
Views
File license
PCFUN 001 - Page 163 (1994-11).jpg
Filename
PCFUN 001 - Page 163 (1994-11).jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
PCFUN 002 - Page075 (1995-02).jpg
Filename
PCFUN 002 - Page075 (1995-02).jpg
File size
954.06 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 70 of 75, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Challenge: Find an ad that has a Cyrix Cx5x86 for sale.
Even the book series "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" seems unware of its existence.

Not trolling here, but what’s so special about that CPU apart from that it seems to be rare?

Reply 71 of 75, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the last Dutch pc hardware retailers, MyCom, filed for bankruptcy earlier this week: https://tweakers.net/nieuws/148390/mycom-vraa … sement-aan.html

Who will be next?

The whole race to the bottom only leads to misery and monopolies..

Reply 72 of 75, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

Not trolling here, but what’s so special about that CPU apart from that it seems to be rare?

I did not say it was special. Though I do think it is the most practical socket 3 CPU. Since it can switch between 33/66/100 MHz by software or a case switch without reboot.
But regardless of that; I did read about AMD 5x86s and wondered what a Cx5x86 would have cost instead.

SpectriaForce wrote:

One of the last Dutch pc hardware retailers, MyCom, filed for bankruptcy earlier this week: https://tweakers.net/nieuws/148390/mycom-vraa … sement-aan.html
Who will be next?
The whole race to the bottom only leads to misery and monopolies..

Sorry to hear that...
People that placed orders and payed in advance will get nothing now.

Reply 73 of 75, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I did not say it was special. Though I do think it is the most practical socket 3 CPU. Since it can switch between 33/66/100 MHz by software or a case switch without reboot.
But regardless of that; I did read about AMD 5x86s and wondered what a Cx5x86 would have cost instead.

I didn’t know that. I have very little knowledge about non Intel and non AMD CPU’s and I am not that deeply invested in DOS (gaming).

gerwin wrote:

Sorry to hear that...
People that placed orders and payed in advance will get nothing now.

Probably, they are the last ones in the row of debtors.

One of the reasons why so many smaller retailers go bankrupt is that most people focus so much on the prices, they compare prices online and buy at the cheapest retailer. That will probably be some big name (e.g. Amazon) or some ebay seller who can’t do math.

I remember the large MyCom stands from the HCC dagen. If only I could step into a time machine and visit one more time a pc fair 😀 I would rob a bank and buy everything that’s now considered retro and save it from e-waste 😊

Reply 74 of 75, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

One of the reasons why so many smaller retailers go bankrupt is that most people focus so much on the prices, they compare prices online and buy at the cheapest retailer. That will probably be some big name (e.g. Amazon) or some ebay seller who can’t do math.

I remember the large MyCom stands from the HCC dagen. If only I could step into a time machine and visit one more time a pc fair 😀 I would rob a bank and buy everything that’s now considered retro and save it from e-waste 😊

Yeah that is the way of the world. Sometimes they even admit it: Amazon being a serial monopolist, Large SSD manufacturers stating they are gonna drop prices to outcompete the smaller producers. I am also kinda bored with this Intel/AMD/ARM non-competition.
In the 90s it was more interesting, though I am positive that there will always be sufficient remnants of that time for hobbyists to tinker with.

Reply 75 of 75, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a few scanned ads from that time period. Just individual ads though, no full-page spreads. I'll go from oldest to newest.

This modem ad actually wasn't scanned by me, it was sent to me by a friend back in 2002. Age unknown, I'd guess around ~1988 or so.

9600-wtf.jpg
Filename
9600-wtf.jpg
File size
237.1 KiB
Views
File comment
9600bps modem
File license

Again, not scanned by me, but instead sent to me by a friend several years ago. From 1989.

radioshacka.jpg
Filename
radioshacka.jpg
File size
70.11 KiB
Views
File comment
Tandy 5000
File license

No picture of the laptop itself unfortunately, just a list of specs. The only reason I scanned this ad was because of the typo, and my at-the-time comical reaction of "800GB hard drives will never happen!" Again, age unknown, but I'd guess 1995.

AdError.jpg
Filename
AdError.jpg
File size
32.78 KiB
Views
File comment
800GB 486 Laptop
File license

I scanned this "Zero Footprint PC" ad because I thought it was a cool system and wanted one so bad back then (hell, I STILL want one). From 1998 according to the copyright date.

Computer1.jpg
Filename
Computer1.jpg
File size
178.86 KiB
Views
File comment
Zero Footprint PC
File license