VOGONS

First post, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm I'm still thinking of building a second Windows XP rig.

I have a Asus P5B Deluxe Mobo and got a P4 3.4GHz CPU for that one, plus it has a Gig or 2 of RAM - haven't powered that board up in ages so not sure exactly how much - was gonna put a 6800GT to complete that build and was about to order the GPU when I had second thoughts

That rig would be quite similar to one of my systems I already run, it has the same model mobo - Win XP, Core 2 Duo, Asus P5B Deluxe, X1850 GPU. So maybe there isn't much point to use the other hardware just because i happen to have it lying around

My other rigs I use for gaming now are...
a super socket 7 K6-450 with AWE 32 that is running win98 - I want to upgrade to it to K6-2+ 550 and Voodoo 3
the Win XP P5B deluxe Core 2 Duo X1850 mentioned above
a i7-2660 Windows 10 on an Asus Mobo, 16Gb RAM with HD6800 that I want upgrade with a R9-390 or maybe Geforce 1070ti

However I do have another rig that was fitted to my original arcade machine (26" CRT cabinet) using an UltiMarc 'Arcade VGA' card to drive the 15.625KHz CRT and a USB to JAMMA interface. I need to sell the arcade machine as I can't ship it from the UK to Gran Canaria and I am thinking of returning it back to it's original condition before I sell it, I have the original JAMMA 'Rambo' game PCB in working condition - and selling it like that.

Plus sell the Arcade VGA and USB-JAMMA interface separately

If I do that then I have some more retro hardware to play with. Its an Asus A7V400-MX mobo, Athlon XP2600+, 1Gb of DDR RAM (I think), a couple of PATA Hard drives - it runs windows XP and it has all my MAME games on it 😀

All I would need then is to fit a suitable 2003 era GPU (Radeon 9800??) and I have another working retro PC. Hmm maybe fit a 3200+ CPU as well 😎

So Is this A7V400-MX mobo a good one to use or does it have known 'issues'?? I doubt I bought it because it was 'top of the range' at the time - probably it was more mid priced knowing me. The manual says it supports FSB 200/266/333/400 is that standard for Athlon XP mobos?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10205/Asus- … l?page=8#manual
I also notice it says in the manual it supports AGP 8x/4x (1.5V only). Is that a limitation?

I think this rig would be fun to set up and fit 'better' between my Super Socket 7 and the Core 2 Duo than building the P4 would? Effectively the SS7 is 1999, this would be circa 2002/2003 I guess and the Core 2 Duo I think i built around 2006.

Actually I do know for sure I built this Athlon 2600+ AFTER the Core 2 Duo because I bought the arcade cab off ebay in 2008. Possibly i reused parts I had lying around or got some second hand parts back in the day. I honestly don't remember

best regards

Reply 1 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm running one of those. It handles a Sempy 3000, SB Live, m3d, and Radeon 9100 just fine. The only thing I find limiting with it is the small number of expansion slots offered by the form factor.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 4, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK cool I only really need to add an AGP card and a sound card (maybe if i don't use the onboard sound instead) so really 1 AGP and 3 PCI is not going to be a problem

Actually I can't think of any of my PCs that have more than 2 add on cards fitted.... Oh there are 3 in the K6-450 but I may as well remove the LAN card from that one as I don't see any need to connect retro PCs to the net

Rich

Reply 4 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dicky96 wrote:

OK cool I only really need to add an AGP card and a sound card (maybe if i don't use the onboard sound instead) so really 1 AGP and 3 PCI is not going to be a problem

Actually I can't think of any of my PCs that have more than 2 add on cards fitted.... Oh there are 3 in the K6-450 but I may as well remove the LAN card from that one as I don't see any need to connect retro PCs to the net

Rich

For newer rigs I tended to basically only really require a graphics card.
One reason for me to limit the number of expansion cards, was cooling of the graphics card (and because I liked having a clean and lean system, the fewer parts the lesser chance at any problems).
When other parts were onboard, I tended to omit those, except sometimes I did add a sound card in several systems, for several different reasons (mostly due to the onboard sound having some sort of weird issues I wanted to troubleshoot and get rid off).

I don't typically pick µATX cases if I have better options anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!