VOGONS

Asus tx-97-e question

Topic actions

First post, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i stumbled across an old rig laying on the side of the road. To my surprise it had the mobo listed in the title and some nice gooddies inside. However i have run into an issue i am trying to resolve. Board boots to bios but gives the no keyboard halt error. The only i/o i have on this machine is ps/2 and serial. I hooked up a ps/2 keyboard and still receive the error and i believe it is either not being detected or the port/cable is bad. I do know that the plug and play detection of the bios is working because it is detecting the installed cards in both isa and pci slots. Should i look into a usb pci card and will plug and play detect and give my functionality in preboot/bios? Or should i seek another option?

Reply 1 of 21, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you'd get input with a USB card, but it depends whether the BIOS supports USB or not, maybe if it's got integrated USB that could work for USB keyboard input?

I think there are two possible things with Asus boards like that one - one is the keyboard fuse, which is common to any PS/2 keyboard having motherboard, that's usually labelled "F1" and is next to the connector so check whether that has continuity.

The other option, would be I think I saw on here that capacitors could also affect it? Hopefully someone else remembers the details on that one.

Reply 2 of 21, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can say that I had various laptops throughout the years from the period around 92-94 that would show sporadic behavior of sorts as in the keyboard sometimes working, sometimes not, serial devices as well sometimes being detected, and sometimes not.

In the end, it was always the issue of capacitors slowly drying up leading to sporadic behavior of this kind. In the end, when left unattended, the sporadic behavior would cease and the ports would simply be plain dead.

Replacing the capacitors got rid of any sporadic behavior and revived the ports.

Additional things to check would be as already said, the continuity of fuses and resistors in the corresponding (in this case PS/2-)line, as well as the connector itself. As PS/2 connectors are prone to have some loose legs, since ppl usually "wiggle" a lot with these kinds of connectors, which is actually not nice for them.

Reply 3 of 21, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the input guys. I remember seeing a few mushroomed capacitors however i am weary about replacing. Its not an issue of soldering, i hear that older asus mobos have the polarity switched or mismarked. Can anyone confirm? Also there is the large keyboard port on the back but i only have a ne ps2 port and it is labled mouse. That is the port i tried with keyboaed. There is no front i/o. Just those 2 ports. Would a pci/isa to ps2 card work? Do they even make those? I will check fuses when i get home

Reply 4 of 21, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is known to have capacitor markings wrong on the planar, then it's safe to make notes when taking out the capacitors the way they were SOLDERED in. By that you will also find out if there are mistakes in the schematics. Just replace them in the exact polarity you take them out.

So you have a big keyboard connector (AT DIN5 plug) and one PS/2 connector that is labelled mouse? The it could be that this PS/2 port is an early one not yet accepting a keyboard and a mouse and is either / or. In this case mouse, if labelled so. It could then very well be that this planar only supports keyboard by itself via the AT plug.

Reply 5 of 21, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The TX97-E is a Baby AT board, so you have the larger 5-pin DIN port for keyboard, and the PS/2 port is for a mouse. Gotta plug a 5-pin DIN (often called "AT") keyboard in, or use a PS/2-to-DIN adapter like the one pictured to attach a PS/2 keyboard.

computer_adt_21079__72480.1431606751.1200.1200.jpg
Filename
computer_adt_21079__72480.1431606751.1200.1200.jpg
File size
62.98 KiB
Views
File comment
Image yanked from Google.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Once you get into the BIOS, there should be a setting to "ignore all errors" so that you won't get a keyboard error when there isn't one attached.

Reply 7 of 21, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice. The ps2 to din fixed my issue so far. Now just waiting on molex splitter to come in. Also the cpu installed is a pentium mmx 200. Would there be any benefit to upgrading to a mmx 233 or k6-2 350/400? I already have another retro machine thats is p4 based.

Reply 8 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to focus on DOS with this machine (or even Win95, say), it's probably best to stick with the Pentium MMX. This will give you the better configuration for speed flexibility when DOS titles are sensitive to the CPU clock. If you have a 233, throw it in, but it's not really worth the expense buying it separately IMO. For even more options, you can look into wiring FSB and muliplier settings via front panel switches (repurposing the turbo switch, for example).

On the other hand, if you want a system that can handle light Win98 gaming, you'll want to look into an AMD CPU.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2019-01-20, 21:08. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 21, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what would be a good graphics card for it for dos? It came with a s3 virge which i hear is a good card for compatibility. However i face one small issue the S3 is vga only. My monitors only have display port and hdmi and im not looking to add another monitor. This is not a huge issue because i can at least get signal from dvi and convert it. Buuut i would need a card with dvi. In my other rig i have a radeon 9550. Any suggestions?

Reply 10 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

For even more options, you can look into wiring FSB and muliplier settings via front panel switches (repurposing the turbo switch, for example).

If it's similar to other Asus mother boards from the same period, everything should be configurable via jumpers already...

Reply 14 of 21, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going to be hard to find a PCI video card with DVI but that maintains good DOS and old motherboard compatibility, I'm afraid. DVI support started to become commonplace only after this era. It's one reason why most of us keep around old LCDs or even CRTs with VGA-in for our old machines.

Reply 15 of 21, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what about conversion? As i have read and please correct me if i am wrong, there are some games/programs that reach different hertz ranges than what is accepted by modern monitors. If i used a vga to hdmi converter wouldn't that solve the issue since the signal would be converted to acceptable frequency?

Reply 16 of 21, by Rasna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Converters often degrade analog image quality...........

My MIDI modules: Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32L, SC-55, SC-55mk2, SC-88, SC-88 Pro, JV-1010, XV-2020, XV-5080 | Yamaha MU-90, MU-100, SW1000XG, MU-2000EX | Akai SG01k | Kawai GMega | Korg NX5R, N1R, Triton Rack

Reply 17 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can probably find a converter for not too much. Not ideal, but it would get you running. Pretty much any graphics card worth using won't come with a DVI output.

In the long term, I suggest keeping on the lookout for a decent CRT monitor. People still throw them out all the time, so you can probably find one for cheap (or free).

Gixxxer wrote:

It is junpers. Hes talking about front mounting customization though.

Yes, I'm talking about physically re-clocking the system with the case buttoned up.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gixxxer wrote:

Ive read the vire is a good card and all, problem is I dont think its available in dvi my monitors only have hdmi and displayport. So the card would have to pci and dvi capable.

Go to local second-hand store, buy old flatscreen monitor with DVI and VGA for 5 bucks/euros/whatever.