VOGONS

First post, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

So I'll getting a fully working Pentium III PC with a geforce fx 5500 today for like 15 bucks. great deal.

However, I want to try fitting this build into my old Presario 7200 series case, but the case is landscape while my Pentium III PC comes with vertical PC case. So I was figuring out for a moment how can I fit all those cards.

But I remember that my compaq case has a riser card which you can put any cards in vertical. However though, I'm not surr if the riser card is capable of this newer GPU. I was scared to fry them accidentally. So do you think will it work. Also I'm gonna add a bunch of sound card and LAN card that came from my Pentium III build too.

The riser:

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The LPX standard wasn't very standard, I think most of these are proprietary and motherboard specific.

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 2 of 4, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
detritus olentus wrote:

The LPX standard wasn't very standard, I think most of these are proprietary and motherboard specific.

Ahh dang, guess I don't want to risk it then. also I found out that the GPU is agp so I don't think there's riser card for that 😒.

Still I want the whole build to fit into my case but I guess that'll be for another story for my (probably) future socket 7 build since the only thing wasn't working was the power supply for the socket 7 build.

Nonetheless thanks for your help!

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP risers certainly exist. You're not likely to see an LPX version, but NLX AGP risers are fairly common - assuming you have a matching NLX board - and failing that there are generic risers, basically just a given length of PCB that fits into the AGP slot and have an AGP slot at rightangles on them.

Also, beware that most P3 boards are 3.3V-only (only the very last generation do dual voltage 3.3V/1.5V), and iirc the GeForce FX series are AGP 3.0, so only do 1.5V and 0.8V. If your board doesn't do 1.5V (AGP 2.0 - "4X"), this combo isn't going to work regardless of riser.

Reply 4 of 4, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

AGP risers certainly exist. You're not likely to see an LPX version, but NLX AGP risers are fairly common - assuming you have a matching NLX board - and failing that there are generic risers, basically just a given length of PCB that fits into the AGP slot and have an AGP slot at rightangles on them.

Also, beware that most P3 boards are 3.3V-only (only the very last generation do dual voltage 3.3V/1.5V), and iirc the GeForce FX series are AGP 3.0, so only do 1.5V and 0.8V. If your board doesn't do 1.5V (AGP 2.0 - "4X"), this combo isn't going to work regardless of riser.

before I bought this pc, the old owner did test drived the PC with me already, besides some driver issue with Windows 98 everything was booting fine. hell he even ran 3 versions of 3dmarks with me witnessing how well it works ( 99, 2000 and 2001)