VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ordered 2 "New" NV silencer 4 coolers from US just few $ each and they arrived today. Since they have not been manufactured for a long time. They have probably been stored somewhere for past almost 15 years.
The plastic packaging was very dusty from the outside. There is bit of black (corrosion?) at edges of the copper plate and it seems couple of the thermal pads have shifted a little bit.
Do you think the thermal pads are still ok after all this time? Also do you think the tube of MX-1 thermal paste that came with it can still be used?
Actually I wasn't able to find any reviews of MX-1 online if it is good thermal paste in the first place.
I hope the fan lubrication is fine at least because it doesn't look like a fan that can be taken apart.

Reply 2 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought it from retail store, so should the 6 year warranty still apply? 😜
In any case arctic cooling stuff seems bit dodgy. At least the first packaging I opened had "NV silencer 4 installation instructions" paper and first to steps have pictures and explain how you can remove old cooler from Ati radeon 9700pro or similar.

instructio.jpg
Filename
instructio.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it can go bad, some separation of its contents can occur or it can dry out. I don't know the exact mechanics of how or why it dries out, but I have had that happen with the cheap white stuff, as well as an old sealed tube of original arctic silver. I normally I use enough to use it up way before it goes bad, but even so, I don't use thermal paste that is older than 5 years or so, it is cheap enough to not be worth the hassle.

Reply 5 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need to throw it away as its actually a more than decent TIM. I'm currently still using that last tube of it I got with a batch of AC 478 coolers about 10-12 years ago and its still in good nick. It was generally considered to be more than a match for their other AS5 paste - some user reviews are still up on Newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16835100401

mx-1.jpg
Filename
mx-1.jpg
File size
568.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

No need to throw it away as its actually a more than decent TIM. I'm currently still using that last tube of it I got with a batch of AC 478 coolers about 10-12 years ago and its still in good nick. It was generally considered to be more than a match for their other AS5 paste - some user reviews are still up on Newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16835100401

mx-1.jpg

Yep, it's good stuff. The only thing I had against it is that was a bit too viscous to my taste, it's hard to get into a really thin interface with the rice grain method.