VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know of Model Ms and stuff, but does anyone know of any other keyboards which were super high end in the late 1990s (from around the Voodoo3-era, ones that costed a lot too) that go for under $100 today? I'm trying to get some kick-ass peripherals for my Voodoo3 build and make it as 90s over the top as possible. I recently bought a shitty rubber dome keyboard and I don't know why. Also please specify to the model number and everything, as that would really help out!

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 1 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There were quite a few ergonomic and chording keyboards out around that time which were very nice and quite expensive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

There were quite a few ergonomic and chording keyboards out around that time which were very nice and quite expensive.

Yep. If you're thinking of a "high end" mechanical like the model M or other ALPS keyboards, I don't really recall any being made. It was mostly ergonomic keyboards in the high end mainstream then. I'd venture they would be mostly worthless now due to being clunky rubber domes.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 15, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Late 90's was the era of cheap rubber domed keyboards and that crappy Microsoft Classic natural Keyboard. I was still using my Northgate 102 in the late 90's.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a model M man so the M15 has long been my craving but there were lots of keyboards made back then which used good quality mechanical switches.

A non authoritative list:
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Kinesis_Evolution
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Unikey_KB-7001
https://deskthority.net/wiki/BAT_Keyboard
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-5000
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_V80-5000

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 15, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get a brand new model M keyboard in USB or PS/2 for abut 80$. They are made from guys at IBM who bought up the IP and equipment over years. That is the pinicale of classic keyboards right there, and in eggshell white, nothing looks better next to a monitor and LP desktop.

Reply 7 of 15, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly late 90s (I had it first in 1993, it was still awailable new when I purchased the last copy that I had in 1998), but there was a keyboard called FK-2001 from Focus. It was being sold for at least 2-3 times more compared to common cheap variety of keyboards from that era.

I loved them 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 15, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The new availiable Model M are not as high in quality as the ones made by Lexmark. I prefer old Cherry G80 or G81 keyboards for my retro rigs, while Model Ms are mostly for IBM RS/6000 and PS/2. AIX 3.2.5 for example demands on the special Model M with the build in speaker to work properly. There are some old Compaq and Dell keyboards that feel quite confortable to work with too.
eisapc

Reply 10 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eisapc wrote:

The new availiable Model M are not as high in quality as the ones made by Lexmark.

Agreed. They feel comparatively light & plastic-y, and the tolerances of machining are definitely not as close as with the old ones. That said, they still beat the pants off most contemporary keyboards, at least when it comes to typing (no gaming with 2kro). But it's pretty easy to get an original IBM for less than the price of a Unicomp new, so if you want clicky buckling springs for your retro rig, the real thing is more attractive on all fronts.

I prefer old Cherry G80 or G81 keyboards for my retro rigs, while Model Ms are mostly for IBM RS/6000 and PS/2. AIX 3.2.5 for example demands on the special Model M with the build in speaker to work properly. There are some old Compaq and Dell keyboards that feel quite confortable to work with too.
eisapc

I use the M as my default for retro rigs, but a nice G80 is a thing of beauty and mechanical efficiency too. Still looking for one with blue switches, but the more common black ones are nice enough too. Disagree on the G81 though, I'm no fan of MY switches.

Reply 11 of 15, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess you could consider some of Keyteonic's models to be relatively highish end for 90's stuff as well. Not mechanical though, but the mechanical craze didn't really kick off until well past Y2K. (Just had to use that über 90's term).
I used to be a fan of Keytronic KT800 and KT2000. Good quality keyboards and much nicer feel than the generic ones it seemed like most people used back then.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 12 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LunarG wrote:

I guess you could consider some of Keyteonic's models to be relatively highish end for 90's stuff as well. Not mechanical though, but the mechanical craze didn't really kick off until well past Y2K. (Just had to use that über 90's term).
I used to be a fan of Keytronic KT800 and KT2000. Good quality keyboards and much nicer feel than the generic ones it seemed like most people used back then.

In my country too everybody was telling you to buy a keytronic keyboard. I don't think there was any really expensive high end keyboards when I was building my pentium pc in 1995 because keyboards didn't really have any special features back then. Some just felt bit nicer than others to type on.

Reply 13 of 15, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have sold this one last year and now realize how rare it is (nobody sells used BTC keyboards in Europe):

BTC 7931 DIN toetsenbord g.jpg
Filename
BTC 7931 DIN toetsenbord g.jpg
File size
114.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

High quality rubber dome with good feedback and a soft clicky sound, like the rubber dome IBM model M.

Reply 15 of 15, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wasn't that the era of bulbous ergonomic keyboards and trackballs? No thanks.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium