VOGONS

Conserving Dallas RTC chips

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

I really can't understand why people still do this hack. They still manufacture drop-in replacements, and there are no shortage of DIY boards to adapt the equivalent external-battery package to that integrated-battery PDIP form factor. Why go to the trouble of mutilating a dead one when there are so many better options readily available? It doesn't make any sense.

Because I have a dremel, a bunch of coin cells, several coin holders, and soldering gear aplenty, and this have job is like 30-40 minutes of work and costs me pennies, whereas a new RTC chip would cost me $20 plus shipping time, and mine are much prettier than the pic I posted.

I also feel like a battery I can't see is an acid hazard waiting to happen, and I have nightmares of CPS2 arcade boards ravaged by battery acid.

Reply 21 of 25, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I didn't expect so many people to have a stock of coin cell holders. I figure, if you have to order a part anyway, just do it right. To each their own, I guess, but it just makes the poor motherboard look like it got into a knife fight. 😉

Reply 22 of 25, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DNSDies wrote:

I also feel like a battery I can't see is an acid hazard waiting to happen, and I have nightmares of CPS2 arcade boards ravaged by battery acid.

But it is really the opposite - an exposed battery is going to do damage if it leaks, one potted in plastic is not

Reply 23 of 25, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
artiemog wrote:
I've seen some rumours floating around that the replacements aren't 100% compatible with all designs that used the old chips, so […]
Show full quote
SirNickity wrote:

I really can't understand why people still do this hack. They still manufacture drop-in replacements, and there are no shortage of DIY boards to adapt the equivalent external-battery package to that integrated-battery PDIP form factor. Why go to the trouble of mutilating a dead one when there are so many better options readily available? It doesn't make any sense.

I've seen some rumours floating around that the replacements aren't 100% compatible with all designs that used the old chips, so it may be paranoia. It also seems like a lot of people just aren't aware that the new chips exist, but information about the hack has circulated around a lot.

I found the replacement chip to be an excellent solution though. I got a DS12887+, which is Maxim's current replacement for the DS1287, and installed it on a 486SC-P Rev. D2 motherboard yesterday (along with a socket! Curse this cheap motherboard manufacturer for not socketing a chip with a battery inside...). Worked like a charm, first try. I will admit to being very careful while removing the old chip in case it turned out I would have to perform the hack, though.

Old chip:
zdlzJK7.png

New chip installed on the motherboard:
Jv01z22.png

Good work, you're doing it right

Reply 25 of 25, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
precaud wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

Good work, you're doing it right

Just in case you haven't gotten the message yet, there is no one "right" in this situation.

giphy.gif