VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i went to buy a cooler and the seller told me if i wanted an old cpu. paid 1 dollar for it. Its a Via c3 600mhz

is this good for retro? or not worth to use it, i hardly belive it can be compared to an intel, but if its slow...then i can use it for old games

these cpus are quite difficult to find most of them end in gold recovery

IMG-20190119-191031.jpg
IMG-20190119-191051.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It really depends on what you'll want to use it for. They were budget-oriented and definitely among the slowest CPUs on the socket370 platform - you can think of it as more of a Celeron-like performance, or perhaps a previous generation Pentium II. Not being either AMD or Intel does make it a fun collectable though. It's definietly worth saving from the clutches of gold recovery folks.

I mean you can run any old DOS game on a modern machine, this is more about what's more fun/quirky to fool around with, to me anyway. I use a Cyrix MII on my DOS machine - it's not the fastest but the "CyrixInstead" in the Windows system info gives me a chuckle everytime.

Reply 2 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Late Nenemiah core can be compared to Penium 3 Coppermine (not in clock-for-clock comparison). This one is based on Samuel core and can be compared to overclocked Pentium MMX.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 5, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes they are great, although this is a slower one and will limit what you can play on it. They can slow down sufficiently to play old games and detect old hardware, and at full speed can play games up to around 98. Beyond that even the fastest ones will struggle badly. For Quake2 and Unreal though, they are excellent. I personally use an Ezra at 866mhz, and I would not go below 800mhz.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 4 of 5, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine on another forum uses a Via C3 800MHz (Eden-N) with his Voodoo 2 SLI Mini-ITX rig. It is going to be quite a bit faster than the 600MHz Samuel core in the picture.
https://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/14409-via … retro-lan-dator

I modeled my Mini-ITX Voodoo 2 SLI build after his, but I'm using a 1GHz VIA C7.

It really all depends on the targeted era of games you want to play. I suggest watching the Cyrix/VIA history video, since it goes into some of the VIA stuff toward the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGAdoMz1c0

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

C3 chips are very flexible as they can be reclocked in software and they have several cache pools that can be manipulated. This makes them quite good for playing speed sensitive DOS titles on a more modern platform.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder