VOGONS

First post, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

So my retro was working fine till I installed vdmsound just for my dos sound to work prop and it screws the whole system, now I can't get past login screen and safe mode tell me that explorer.exe is corrupt. (thanks fuck vdmsound for screwing my computer.)

So, since I don't have a CD, DVD or Floppy drive on my modern PC and the only way is usb booting or network booting (I don't know how to do the latter though)

But I tried to follow this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GEsE2_j4Y&t=302s and my retro PC can't find the USB to boot from in BIOS, is it too old for usb booting or I do I has to buy a cd rom for my modern pc now? 😵

Reply 1 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You tried VDMSound for Windows 98? You don't realize that it's for NT?

Your "modern" PC is a Pentium III box? (ASUS cuv4x-c)

What exactly are you trying to do? Please explain yourself better.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Your "modern" PC is a Pentium III box? (ASUS cuv4x-c)

What exactly are you trying to do? Please explain yourself better.

1. Yes I don't know that, I'm really dumb

2. No, my modern PC doesn't have any CD or Floppy Drive (the only way I transfer file is via USB Flash Drive) and my Retro PC is the Pentium III of course.

3. I want to boot Windows 98 on my Retro PC via USB booting, but it doesn't support USB booting in the BIOS it seems. are there anyways to boot without cd or floppy? (I also has the network card for booting via network but I don't know how to do that.)

Reply 3 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I see, the CUV4X does not support USB boot. How did you install the OS there in the first place?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

As far as I see, the CUV4X does not support USB boot. How did you install the OS there in the first place?

The old owner (I assume) has windows 98 cd, but so far he lost that cd long ago.

Reply 5 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The simplest thing would be to borrow a USB CD drive, connect it to your modern PC and burn a Win98 installation CD image.

Reply 6 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

The simplest thing would be to borrow a USB CD drive, connect it to your modern PC and burn a Win98 installation CD image.

I don't think anyone around me has a cd drive now 🤣, plus if I buy the usb cd drive I would use for this purpose only and I don't know what's the point to use it anymore.

Reply 7 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have IDE ports on your modern PC? You could connect the drive from the retro PC to the new PC, get the Win98 ISO somewhere, copy over the contents, then boot the retro PC to command prompt only, and run SETUP from there.

Reply 8 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Do you have IDE ports on your modern PC? You could connect the drive from the retro PC to the new PC, get the Win98 ISO somewhere, copy over the contents, then boot the retro PC to command prompt only, and run SETUP from there.

้hmmm, interesting. I don't think my modern PC mainboard has IDE, but prob I should buy ide to sata converter for that as it is the cheapest way to do it and I don't have much options anyways 🤣. but I'd also need a molex to a new power supply adapter (I'm not sure what's it called?) am I right? I have a seasonic s12II btw

Reply 9 of 22, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pote2639 wrote:
dr_st wrote:

้hmmm, interesting. I don't think my modern PC mainboard has IDE, but prob I should buy ide to sata converter for that as it is the cheapest way to do it and I don't have much options anyways 🤣. but I'd also need a molex to a new power supply adapter (I'm not sure what's it called?) am I right? I have a seasonic s12II btw

SATA to IDE adapters usually connect with floppy power, or sometimes a molex splitter to floppy. Otherwise a molex Y splitter will cost you somewhere around 3$.

Reply 10 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:
pote2639 wrote:
dr_st wrote:

SATA to IDE adapters usually connect with floppy power, or sometimes a molex splitter to floppy. Otherwise a molex Y splitter will cost you somewhere around 3$.

Just bought IDE to USB 2.0 in my local online shopping site instead since they're including the molex connector for that too, I'm lazy. 😜

Thanks everyone!

Reply 11 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forget one more thing, if I install Windows 98 by loading installer files from the hdd, will it boot if I format the whole thing first and then putting a bootable Windows 98 installer into the hdd? Do I need DOS for that first?

Reply 12 of 22, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pote2639 wrote:

I forget one more thing, if I install Windows 98 by loading installer files from the hdd, will it boot if I format the whole thing first and then putting a bootable Windows 98 installer into the hdd? Do I need DOS for that first?

1) Install Windows on partition that is before (ie. seperate), from the one with Windows installer files.
2) Windows 98 needs it's installer CD files for pretty much everything - deleting them is dumbest thing you can do if you don't have a install CD.
3) You need DOS to run setup.exe from Win98 install disk (even if it's on HDD).
And since board doesn't support USB boot, the only option is to create a bootable SD card (with SD to IDE adapter) OR bootable Idustrial Compact Flash card with CF to IDE adapter.
In theory you can also install DOS on partition with Windows installer files (by utilising another machine and simply switching HDD between tham).
4) Trying to use Win98 without Floppy or CD/DVD will be VERY hard at first, unless you can easy swap it's hard drive between old rig and working PC (or have Win98 know-how from earlier project), I strongly advice against using such a configuration.

157143230295.png

Reply 13 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, can I install DOS to my retro HDD on my modern machine first and then take my HDD back to retro PC and install Win98 afterward? Or is it impossible. I can't create a new partition with fdisk for some reason (it saw that my drive is full but it's not, and the only thing I can do is format)

Reply 15 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

Yes. DOS doesn't care what it runs on, as long as it supports x86 instructions 😁

I was worried about the driver actually, but if it works with that method then I don't need cf card anymore I guess. Thanks!

Reply 16 of 22, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

There WAS a VDMSound for Win9x. Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 17 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, but what for?

Also, according to what I see in that thread, getting it to work was difficult from the beginning.

Reply 18 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alternatively, if you have a network card with network boot capability, you can set up a pxe server and format and copy all the files from a floppy image of DOS

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19 of 22, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Interesting, but what for?

Also, according to what I see in that thread, getting it to work was difficult from the beginning.

I wasn't able to get sound in DOS game on my SB live! and they said this one can emulating sb 16 in DOS. but now after I installed the liveware OG driver cd found in here I won't need them anymore 🤣.

Deksor wrote:

Alternatively, if you have a network card with network boot capability, you can set up a pxe server and format and copy all the files from a floppy image of DOS

Sounds complicated to set up a server to be honest, also I just got IDE to USB 2.0 adapter now so everything is fine now. except I have to launch the windows 98 setup through my VMWare using the physical disk, let it install halfway before it will detecting drivers and then swapping to my retro PC.