VOGONS

First post, by Wolfwood428

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a Slot A K7 850 sitting on an Asus K7M Mobo. issue is, the K7 has Giant Cooling Fins with no fans. Now, This may be ample cooling for it... but to put it into perspective my 486DX2-66 has a heatsink and fan on it. so, I like Fans. what would be a good, currently available option? i've seen some two fan SECC coolers but truthfully its the SECC Golden Orb that i'm after. this is going to be kind of a show piece in my collection, so it will be behind glass and on display (White LED's to keep it lit up and visible, no fancy smanshy alternating colors for this lady). I have found the SECC2 Golden Orb, but that doesn't really help on the K7.

SO, What would you guys recommend? I'm not very versed in the SECC/SECC2 world of computing.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I modded a heatpipe cooler that came with a 939 Opteron for one of my K7 systems. Keeps it very cool and is very quiet.

The coolers that were available back then were pretty much trash. I even had one of those Alpha coolers with the dual 60mm jet engine fans and it still got super hot. The thin fin and heatpipe cooler is just awesome in comparison.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by Wolfwood428

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, i'm not too handy at modding coolers and i really wouldn't feel comfortable trying.. I suppose AMD is to blame for the Furnace of a CPU they put out without even ample stock cooling. Id say if it were a 700 or under i wouldn't worry too much. but i've seen accounts of the 850+ cpus being absolute menaces to keep cool

Reply 3 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.anandtech.com/show/487
But it sounds like your mind is already made up with the Golden Orb so doubt you'll be happy with anything else.
This isn't a bad thing, it is probably the most common and desirable after market cooler from back then so good representation of the period

Reply 4 of 11, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where would you find those old coolers these days? I use the generic dual fan heatsinks with my Slot A 700's and P3's (snagged a whole box of them NOS).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 11, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just picked an SECC golden orb recently. If you go to that really popular online auction site and search "Thermaltake Slot-1 fan" you might be surprised what you'll find. 🤣

Reply 6 of 11, by Wolfwood428

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/487
But it sounds like your mind is already made up with the Golden Orb so doubt you'll be happy with anything else.
This isn't a bad thing, it is probably the most common and desirable after market cooler from back then so good representation of the period

I had, the show factor of it had me hooked. but I have doubts about it's performance with an 850mhz processor. which is why my brain told me to seek more logical options.

Reply 7 of 11, by Wolfwood428

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Katmai500 wrote:

I just picked an SECC golden orb recently. If you go to that really popular online auction site and search "Thermaltake Slot-1 fan" you might be surprised what you'll find. 🤣

You... You are a Hero! 😘 😘 😘

I had searched hundreds of times... and it never friggin showed up on the majigger!

Reply 8 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the golden orb slot A cooler on a 950 MHz Athlon over clocked to 1050Mhz and it cools it beautifully I'm using artic silver 5 it's been setup that way since 2008 when the system was in use a POS system at my mom's restaurant.

Reply 9 of 11, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wolfwood428 wrote:
Katmai500 wrote:

You... You are a Hero! 😘 😘 😘

I had searched hundreds of times... and it never friggin showed up on the majigger!

Glad I could help! 😀 Now don't forget to post some pictures of your Athlon rig once you get it installed!