VOGONS

First post, by manczyslaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i am new to the forum and i am here because i found an old pc that i wanted to use to play old games from my youth, unfortunately the hdd was wiped and i tried to install win95 directly to hdd using other motherboard, tried everything, from putting boot disk on it etc did not boot just stoped at post screen sometimes it shows i/o error or updating escd..... succes, maybe i need boot from floppy i dont know i have no acces to write a floppy, its quite strange that i cant boot anything from hdd. I will show pictures of the motherboard. There is no battery present on the motherboard. Sorry for bad english.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First you need to enter the BIOS and set it correctly up. I spot the floppy drive are not installed correctly. Unless you only have 5,25 inch drives in the machine. Then you need to power it off and let it sit the night over, to check if there are any juice left in the dallas battery.

After all that, you need to recheck the BIOS, and find a way to write images to floppy drives. That can be done in a lot of ways, like getting an old P4 machine with a floppy drive or get a USB floppy drive for your personal main computer.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 7, by manczyslaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so now i know why there is no battery on the board 😀 i will try to fix it and mount cell battery on top of it, like i saw its possible to do. And yes i will fix some p4 pc but why cant i boot from hdd? I have read somewhere (some hot-433 mob informations)that there is no ide controller driver of 8886AF chip in Windows 95 could this be the problem?

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have seen quite a few mobos that use the DALLAS RTC not boot / hang / black screen if the battery inside the chip is dead.
Do the CR2032 mod on the DALLAS RTC, chances are it will fix your issue.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good overhead shot with the board completely removed and the slots and IDE/floppy connectors depopulated, with the board oriented such that the keyboard port is to the lower right, will help finding it in the line drawings here: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/m486_1.html

Model numbers can sometimes be found silkscreened in the space between slots. Also, the BIOS ID may show up on the bottom of the screen when attempting to boot, so that is another thing useful in identifying the board.

Reply 6 of 7, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
manczyslaw wrote:

I have read somewhere (some hot-433 mob informations)that there is no ide controller driver of 8886AF chip in Windows 95 could this be the problem?

Booting from the hard drive doesn't depend on any Windows 95 driver. Getting all the way into Windows might, but just getting the "Starting Windows 95..." on the screen doesn't.