VOGONS

First post, by Spray110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone! So I've recently gotten a hold of a Dell Dimension XPS T500, with 192mb RAM currently (128mb+64mb) and a Pentium 3 500mhz.

While games usually work *fine* From Windows 98 SE itself, I can't seem to get them to work at all using pure DOS mode, and it seems to come down to memory every time I try to start a game. I'm currently not at home, and I can't remember exactly, but I'll list a couple of errors down belowusing the game Aladdin as an eample

Win 98:
If use SETSND to setup the sound I get an error saying there's not enough free memory, and the game may not be able to play music.
The game starts, but with completely corrupted sound, its like one stuttering note all the time. The game also crashes after a while, so it's not even playable, seems to be the right speed though.

DOS:
When rebooting to DOS, I can't start the game at all, it gives me the famous "xms allocation error". I've tried using an alternate to eatxms to try and get only 32mb free max, but to no success. To be completely honest I'm not really sure I'm using it correctly.

I feel like my DOS isn't setup correctly, I've tried editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat files according to instructions, but it doesnt seem to work.

Do any of you have any advice? Is there a way I can check if my DOS is setup correctly?

Also, the Aladdin game is original, I just bought it and would really like to play it, so it's pretty frustrating, I want to be able to play my games straight from DOS!

To clearify, even if DOS games will run from Windows 98se, they won't boot in pure DOS.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got the same PC with 384MB RAM, so It'll work fine in dos, just need to set it up right 😀
How are you booting into pure dos? sounds like you just have the basic Autoexec.bat and config.sys

Easyist way is either a boot disk or create a shortcut to command.com on your desktop and configure the autoexec/config setting in the advanced tab.
You DONT want to simply create these files in the root of c:\ as they will conflict when booting into Win98.

Here is what I use as a template for my startup config, or if you post yours here we'll be able to help
http://www.mdgx.com/mem7.htm

Which sound card are you using for dos? Midi from the onboard yamaha doesn't work which is a real shame.

Aladdin does have an issue where you have to limit the memory, I cant remember the exact amount as struggle to get it to work as well. It's my only dos game that cant easily be patched so gave up on it and use dosbox, So fingers crossed you get it working so you can tell me!