VOGONS

First post, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I have an IBM XT with 640k of ram, and a XT-IDE, it came with a genuine IBM EGA card and I just got a 5154 for it today. I also have a sound blaster pro 2.0 installed in it and the IRQ is set to IRQ 7, I can run Zak Mckraken and it runs ok, but if I try to run Monkey Island, it loads up and freezes right when the mouse cursor shows up.

I thought it is a resource conflict so I pulled out the SB along with the original floppy controller and hard drive card, along with a RTC card and tried running it but the results are the same. The system meets the minimum requirements for the game, any ideas why it's not working?

Reply 4 of 6, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sev80 wrote:

it loads up and freezes right when the mouse cursor shows up.

Not easy to play without a mouse, but disable the mouse driver. If it doesn't freeze then, try a different mouse driver.

Reply 5 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The early Sierra games (King‘s Quest 1-4, Soace Quest 1-3, …) are EGA compatible. You can try those to see if it‘s about Monkey Island or you have a general problem.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

maybe you have corrupted game files?

Could very well be. Or some weirdly cracked version that doesn‘t like 8088s.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC