VOGONS

First post, by jabfg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
Recently I decided to bought a DFI CA-64TC for really cheap (10 €).
This motherboard as the via Apollo pro 133T chipset (694T).
It works well but I only has one 256mb RAM module. Since I'm going to buy new modules to expand the ram, I would like to max it out.
This motherboard supports 512 mb modules and it has 3 slots but I don't know the max amount that I can put because this chipset supports 1.5GB but the motherboard's manual says that the limit is 1GB.
So, what is the limit? (Has anyone have ever had success with 1.5GB in this motherboard)?
And if the limit is inded 1GB, it's better to use a 2 X 512mb modules or a 512mb module and 2 X 256mb in terms of performance? (I'm going to activate Interleaving)

Last edited by jabfg on 2019-01-27, 11:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1.5Gb=192MB? No, the limit it 1.5GB.

Note however that you might hit compatibility or timing issues forcing you to lower the RAM clock or loosen timings if you completely fill up the SDRAM bus with three double-sided modules. It's possible DFI wanted to avoid that sort of complications by advertising max 1GB.

If you want to play it safe, use 2x 512MB (always double-sided) or 1x 512MB and 2x 256MB single-sided. But you might as well go for 3x 512MB and see what happens.