VOGONS

Help to identify a 286 Mobo

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Chr$

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, ok, will do that tomorrow. It only has a working 5.25" drive, but that's ok, I can put those files on a 5.25 disk using another machine.

Hello, I'm Chris in Saxony, Germany. Old enough to have had actual experience with 1980s Micros and 1990s PC's. Still haven't got my head round any of them!

Reply 21 of 25, by Chr$

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the result of GETROM.

I'm not sure how the resulting files make sense, i.e. which is complete odd, which is even etc. So everything is in this zip.

First it produced a 64k file, called ATROM.
Then it split that into 2x32k, called TEMPEVN and TEMPODD.
Then I split each of those files into 4x16k files: F0EVN, f1EVN and F0ODD and F1ODD.

Which 2 of those files would you program onto 27128 eproms, assuming the roms are 128kbits and assuming normal eproms are pin compatible!

Attachments

• Filename
    GETROM.zip
    File size
    90.4 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hello, I'm Chris in Saxony, Germany. Old enough to have had actual experience with 1980s Micros and 1990s PC's. Still haven't got my head round any of them!

Reply 22 of 25, by Chr$

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another question related to this m/b.... The board installed DIP chips that it came with give me 1mb of RAM. I adapted 4x 1mb SIMM sticks to SIPP and installed those. It made no difference. With the DIP RAM removed the 4x 1mb sticks do work and also give the machine 1mb RAM. Is the extra SIPP RAM likely to be accessible via a jumper?

Reply 23 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most (but not all) 286 boards let you use DIP or SIPP/SIMM memory, but not at the same time.

There are some that can use it in addition (often for an odd amount like 3 or 5mb), but not many.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 24 of 25, by Chr$

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks, well I'll live with 1mb for now then, it's not like I don't have others with more RAM!

Another annoying issue with this board, in fact there are 2:

When it starts it always reports 'EQUIPMENT CONFIGURATION ERROR - RUN SETUP' even though everything is fine there, unless it's related somehow to my floppy problem. (CMOS battery is a 2032 now).

The floppy problem is that when it boots it will seek on A: (a 1.2mb 5.25 drive) then seeks on B: (a 1.44 drive), their lights illuminate in turn and they buzz to life, seems normal and then it boots off A: or C: as normal. But once booted the B: drive is not accessible and when you try to dir it, it says 'Insert diskette for drive B: and press any key when ready'. So I do, and then it only ever dirs whatever is in drive A: !

The 5.25 A: drive is set to DS1 and is positioned after the cable twist. It's a TEAC FD-55GFR. The only other connected jumper is 'DC' and I can't quite find a jumper manual/pics that exactly correspond to my drive's PCB.

The 3.5 B: drive seems unremarkable but it does have a little PCB attached to it to convert the old slot type FDD connector to the usual 34 pin newer type common to 3.5in drives. That PCB has a jumper on it too, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Reply 25 of 25, by Chr$

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I worked out the BIOS files generated by GETROM. The F1ODD/F0ODD and the EVN versions were the same. So I burnt 27c256 eproms with 2x copies of each and it worked. Encouraged by that I also tried another BIOS found here for a Japanese 286 m/b with VLSI chipset, and that worked too. And with that BIOS the Config error on startup went away.... It also remained without config error when I put the original BIOS back in. I have reverted back the BIOS from here as it's simply better and has a few extras compared to the original.

Re the floppy problem, I very often, seemingly randomly, get reports of faulty FDD controller but at the moment it does seem to work with both A: and B: drives (the B: is also a different unit, so the original drive was probably iffy).