VOGONS

Windows XP Help me pick a CPU

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's HD 4870 you're right - I often mistype this as 4850 (my old phone number started like that) but it's a 4870 from 2009.

I opened to case to check the rest for you: the Audigy 2 is model SB0240 but with no gold contacts.

The motherboard is an ASUS P8H67-M Evo from 2011.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/201201/A … 7Mevo_fullH.jpg

All its drivers are available in XP which isn't bad for a motherboard released 5 years after Vista.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67M_EVO/ … pDesk_Download/

In essence, this is a PC that could be used for almost all games from 2000-2010 which is ideal. Games newer than that, nearly all run on my modern rig anyway.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 41 of 43, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

red_avatar
thanks for the useful info

Older mouse model which appeared to work better with older games than a newer model is still interesting to be said. I suspect there should be good working modern models or there can be software issues. The concrete information about mouses models can to help to understand the situation better.

> All its drivers are available in XP which isn't bad for a motherboard released 5 years after Vista.

the latest MBs with official XP drivers and PCI slots (for old sound cards) were on 77 chipset alike Asus P8Z77-V

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 42 of 43, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use an i3-2120 in a Dell Optiplex 790 USFF, so I'm all kinds of oddball and non-retro (I do have the parts to build a proper era system but this is a tiny dictionary-sized box and it works *astonishingly* well).

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 43 of 43, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:

red_avatar
thanks for the useful info

Older mouse model which appeared to work better with older games than a newer model is still interesting to be said. I suspect there should be good working modern models or there can be software issues. The concrete information about mouses models can to help to understand the situation better.

Well I only own gaming mice - every mouse I bought in the past 7-8 years has been a gaming mouse with higher dpi. I seriously suspect that this is the cause of the problem - the mouse sending too much info to the PC for the game to handle. Maybe it's a buffer overflow? The game expecting, say, 10 coordinates per second but receiving 30 so the game ends up lagging behind because it's still processing the first 10 coordinates while it keeps getting new coordinates - some won't fit in the buffer so are lost which explains the behaviour where the mouse only moves more or less accurately if you move it sloooowly but jumps all over the place if you move it quickly.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870