VOGONS

First post, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an Iomega Zip 100 Plus drive (external) at a local thrift store recently, but even though it was never opened (still shrink-wrapped, box has NO damage) it doesn't work. 😕 😕 When I plug it in, both LED's on the front turn on and stay on. If I insert a disk, I can't eject it, and nothing changes. To get the disk out, I need to use the paperclip eject hole on the back of the drive. It won't show up in windows, and I've tried with Windows XP and 2000, and it doesn't show up in either version of windows. Is the drive fucked, or is it fixable?

Reply 3 of 9, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the drive belt went bad. Should be replaceable.

Edit: Nevermind, could have sworn I saw a belt in my transparent Iomega ZIP 100 USB, apparently not the case.

Last edited by Rawit on 2019-01-29, 07:58. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 5 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get your money back.

There are no belts. And if it doesn't come up by itself, its probably cactus. Can I assume you have other zip drives and you have connected this one properly? IIRC the "plus" is a scsi/parallel combo drive. It should still work with just power (eject disk, etc)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 9, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I found out something.
If I disconnect this:

15487065038787718582121639349749.jpg
Filename
15487065038787718582121639349749.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The drive operates somewhat normally. Both LED'S turn on, and the amber one turns off. The button on the front turns the drive either on or off. It now shows up in windows as a Zip 100 drive, but it just keeps saying "insert a disk in drive F:", regardless if there is a zip disk in it or not.

Reply 7 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that looks like the connection for the drive heads. Its natural for it to not see a drive when you disconnect its eyes.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 9, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

that looks like the connection for the drive heads. Its natural for it to not see a drive when you disconnect its eyes.

But, it WORKS when I disconnect that. If it's connected, it doesn't work at all.