VOGONS

First post, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys. What's this connector? Its a single line 8 pin connector, the lead comes from the ATX Power Supply

Attachments

• 20190128_171023.jpg
    Filename
    20190128_171023.jpg
    File size
    894.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20190128_170512.jpg
    Filename
    20190128_170512.jpg
    File size
    476.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190128_170439.jpg
    Filename
    20190128_170439.jpg
    File size
    657.61 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 5, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's an AUX connector. it was used on early Pentium 4's, and the proprietary Dell computers of the mid to late 90's. What is the model of the motherboard and power supply?

Reply 2 of 5, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard doesn't seem to have a model number on it. The Power Supply you can see the model number on the first pic NPS 400AB.

I was given two of these tower PCs, 'Fujitsu Siemens Celcius' neither of them are working. On may have a faulty power supply as the Red LED on the mother board doesn't light up but it does on the other one. The one with no LED lit just fires up on power on with the fans spinning until I pull the mains lead out.

On the other one the mobo LED lights I can power up and shut the PC back down using the Standby button but I don't get any video. These PCs are from around 2006, not Mid 90s. The tower cases are stupidly heavy!!

I was also given Packard Bell with ASUS M2N NM/S mobo that seems to have some sort of fault as it doesn't detect the PCI-e video card even though i have tested with a few different cards. That has some sort of Athlon 64 CPU and finally I got a Samsung Laptop that won't power on. Basically a load of faulty PCs for free but I may get something useful out of it.

So far I have tested some of the components on a working PC and I have three good SATA Hard Drives, two good 1Gb DDR2 6400 and two good Quadro PCI-e cards (can't remember the model, they are at the workshop). I also suspect the Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPUs from the Fujitsu's are good. I also have a Creative Soundblaster PCI card that I need to test (again can't remember the model) and some working ATX PSU's

Rich

Reply 3 of 5, by serguey bubka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

dicky96 wrote:
The motherboard doesn't seem to have a model number on it. The Power Supply you can see the model number on the first pic NPS 4 […]
Show full quote

The motherboard doesn't seem to have a model number on it. The Power Supply you can see the model number on the first pic NPS 400AB.

I was given two of these tower PCs, 'Fujitsu Siemens Celcius' neither of them are working. On may have a faulty power supply as the Red LED on the mother board doesn't light up but it does on the other one. The one with no LED lit just fires up on power on with the fans spinning until I pull the mains lead out.

On the other one the mobo LED lights I can power up and shut the PC back down using the Standby button but I don't get any video. These PCs are from around 2006, not Mid 90s. The tower cases are stupidly heavy!!

I was also given Packard Bell with ASUS M2N NM/S mobo that seems to have some sort of fault as it doesn't detect the PCI-e video card even though i have tested with a few different cards. That has some sort of Athlon 64 CPU and finally I got a Samsung Laptop that won't power on. Basically a load of faulty PCs for free but I may get something useful out of it.

So far I have tested some of the components on a working PC and I have three good SATA Hard Drives, two good 1Gb DDR2 6400 and two good Quadro PCI-e cards (can't remember the model, they are at the workshop). I also suspect the Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPUs from the Fujitsu's are good. I also have a Creative Soundblaster PCI card that I need to test (again can't remember the model) and some working ATX PSU's

Rich

That's indeed a Fujitsu Siemens Celsius. I had one, with a Q9550 ang 8GB of ddr2. The board works fine with any atx psu (you don't need to connect the aux). The chassis is very heavy but nicely built.

Reply 4 of 5, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK that's useful info. I'll try a regular ATX PSU see if I can pin down the fault. You are right about the tower case they weigh a ton! Lots of big beefy fans in these things too, I bet they would be suitable cases for a gaming rig. I notice that the CPU heatsink bolts through the mobo and directly to the chassis, which I thought was unusual but it can then use the entire chassis as a heatsink so it sounds like a good idea. it does look like the big metal plate that the heatsink bolts onto can be removed with a few screws, so you can mount a standard ATX mobo in the case.

best regards
Rich

Reply 5 of 5, by serguey bubka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

The machine is silent enough, although I did remove the extra fans. The tower cooler is indeed attached to the chassis, through the motherboard. That's fantastic, as it not bends your motherboard, but you cannot switch to another motherboard and use the same cooler, unless it has the 4 holes at the exactly same point.
You can, as you say, remove the backplate and use another motherboard with another cooler.