VOGONS

First post, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MOBO I am using is a Gigabyte GA-586TX2 Rev. 1.06. I have only been able to find a manual for Revision 1. The manual shows the 4 pin PS/2 Header but the replacement PS/2 Back Panel I got has a 10 pin connector with only 4 wires. Does anyone know the wiring diagram for the 4 pin PS/2 Header on the MOBO?

Reply 1 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unplug the PSU, and use a multimeter in continuity mode to beep out which one is ground. Put the negative lead on the shell of one of the connectors, and use the positive lead to probe the PS/2 pins until you find the ground pin. Then power it up, put it in Volts DC mode, and look for the +5V pin. (Positive probe, negative on metal shell.) The other two will be clock and data. You've got a 50/50 chance of getting those right, so if your mouse doesn't work, swap those pins and try again.

Reply 2 of 3, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds easy enough. I'll pick up a multimeter tonight and give it a shot. The PS/2 Back Panel I have has 4 wires: Red, Yellow, Green, and Brown. How do I know which of these are the right ones?

Reply 3 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That part's easy. 😀 The PS/2 port has a known pinout. Google it and hit the Images link and you'll have about a hundred to choose from.

When you have a reference image of the port itself and the functions of all the pins, just use the meter's continuity mode to find out which wire corresponds to which pin.