VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right...
In the hopes of making my setup more streamlined, I've set up a nice new Aten CS84U KVM.
It has VGA, PS/2 and USB (which I don't really need), but unfortunately, my 486 has no PS/2 ports.
As luck would have it though, as soon as I hooked up monitor and keyboard (via PS/2 to AT adaptor), the KVM shows the system as "online" as soon as I power it on.
However, no such luck with mouse adaptors though. If I plug my Compaq branded Logitech PS/2 mouse, directly to the 486, using the adaptor, the computer is inable to detect that there is a mouse plugged in.
If I plug the KVM mouse-PS/2-cable into the 486 via the adaptor, the system doesn't even come up as online, and if I manually switch the KVM to the appropriate input, my PC stops at keyboard error in POST.

I could understand if plugging the PS/2 mouse via the KVM simply wouldn't work, seeing as it clearly doesn't when it's plugged directly to the PC, but that it prevents the keyboard for being detected as well?
This just seems really odd to me. Is there any type of PS/2 to serial adaptors that work better than others? The one I bought is a cheap eBay one, so I wouldn't be that surprised if it is faulty.
Also, there's an arrow on the adaptor pointing towards the PS/2 end... To me, this makes it seem like the plug is directional somehow? Very odd.

So, any advice as to how I might get this working? I mean, I can just keep using my serial mouse on the 486, but it does mean having two mice on my desk, which I'd rather avoid if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 6, by raindog1975

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PS/2 to serial( or USB to serial ) are usually directional because they have to actively convert the signal(s) from one standard to another ( unlike usb to PS/2 mouse adapters witch can be passive), and unfortunately you seem to have the wrong type. I think you need something like this http://www.vetra.com/327text.html ( maybe somebody on the forum can point to a more reasonably priced alternative 0

Pentium MMX 166 Acorp 5VIA3P 32 MB EDO-Ram Matrox Millennium 4 MB -Win 95 OSR 2
AMD K6-2 400 Matsonic MS6260S 128 MB SDRAM PC 100 TNT2 M64 32 MB - Win 98 SE
AMD Athlon 1GHz Soltek SL-75 KAV 256 MB SDRAM PC 133 Geforce 6800 GT / FX 5500 - work in progress

Reply 2 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS/2 to serial adapters only work with PS/2 mouses that can be connected to such an adapter, i.e. a serial/PS/2 mouse such as Microsoft's original IntelliMouse. IIRC, the adapter also needs to be of the same type as the one that came with the mouse originally...

Reply 3 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raindog1975 wrote:

PS/2 to serial( or USB to serial ) are usually directional because they have to actively convert the signal(s) from one standard to another ( unlike usb to PS/2 mouse adapters witch can be passive), and unfortunately you seem to have the wrong type. I think you need something like this http://www.vetra.com/327text.html ( maybe somebody on the forum can point to a more reasonably priced alternative 0

I do remember buying PS/2 mice back in the day, that came with an adaptor to plug them into serial ports, and none of those were anything like these powered boxes in your link, so clearly this isn't the norm.

yawetaG wrote:

PS/2 to serial adapters only work with PS/2 mouses that can be connected to such an adapter, i.e. a serial/PS/2 mouse such as Microsoft's original IntelliMouse. IIRC, the adapter also needs to be of the same type as the one that came with the mouse originally...

But I'm not really THAT surprised that the adaptors are directional, or that only some mice supports this sort of usage.
Well, I was considering getting hold of an Intellimouse anyway, so I guess this helps me make that decision. I just hope I can find one that comes with a suitable adaptor.

Cheers.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh wow. Aten actually got back to me on my support ticket within about an hour. And they confirm that I will need to use one of those active converters.
There are also some guides on how to build your own, so I might look into that.

Reply 5 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LunarG wrote:
But I'm not really THAT surprised that the adaptors are directional, or that only some mice supports this sort of usage. Well, I […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

But I'm not really THAT surprised that the adaptors are directional, or that only some mice supports this sort of usage.
Well, I was considering getting hold of an Intellimouse anyway, so I guess this helps me make that decision. I just hope I can find one that comes with a suitable adaptor.

Cheers.

The adapter is the same color as the PS/2 mouse connector (on the mouse), if it helps.

Reply 6 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
LunarG wrote:
But I'm not really THAT surprised that the adaptors are directional, or that only some mice supports this sort of usage. Well, I […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

Cheers.

The adapter is the same color as the PS/2 mouse connector (on the mouse), if it helps.

Well, seeing as it turns out the KVM isn't compatible with the use of a passive adapter, I guess it doesn't matter.
Good think I have a new soldering iron on its way in the mail, cause I suddenly have a project to do 😉