VOGONS


Maxing Intel P45 memory

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Where do you get this information about "known for using inferior chips bought on the black market for rejects from the original manufacturers"? You either made that up or quote some idiot 'on the internets'... I think that it's not a case of "unreliable RAM" as much as a case of "unreliable sources".

It is well-known:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCZ#Reliability_history
https://www.storagereview.com/corsair_issues_ … es_3_ssd_recall

Most times inferior RAM gets undetected because users are accustomed to blame Windows for crashes.
But it is telltale that these companies who sell the rebranded non-premium dies from the manufacturers do not participate in the server RAM market, where ECC is standard and would instantly reveal the real quality of their RAMs.

dr_st wrote:

Could it be you are also not aware that every RAM stick manufacturer (OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Hynix, you-name-it) has multiple lineups, from cheap low-end, high-latency "value RAM" (which may also not be super-reliable) all the way to expensive "overclockers" RAM? No, that's impossible - I am sure you are aware of that.

There are only a number of chip manufacturers.
See this chart to see the actual manufacturers: https://www.statista.com/statistics/271726/gl … ors-since-2010/
All other "manufacturers" are actually only rebranders.

For example, of those you listed above, only Hynix is chip manufacturer. The others rebrand chips from the manufacturers.
The manufacturers test and categorize every and each one of the chips in deep detail.
Only the finest chips are branded with the manufacturer's logo.
The others go to rebranders.
For example, Kingston is one of the few reputable rebranders. They rebrand only stuff which is still of good quality.
Lesser quality costs less, and so you observe thousands of fantasy memory "brands" that appear and disappear.
Corsair and OCZ are just examples of rebranders who took too much risk in this kind of gamble game of remarketing inferior stuff as "quality stuff".

Reply 21 of 27, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

16GB of ddr2 puts a lot of stress on the memory controller, regardless of anything else. You can try finding a compatibility list for your motherboard and try to look for any modules that have already been tested. I doubt it would take ECC and.or registered memory either

What is the application? If you're building a beast system, you can get ddr2 1200mhz in 2gb sticks
If you're running VMs and the like, there are lots of server boards out there that take registered memory, which is a lot easier to find in large sticks

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 22 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote:

Why do you post stories about SSD reliability in a discussion about DRAM? And while you're at it, why don't you do a simple Google search to find reliability issues with every single memory manufacturer out there? P.S. as far as it is from the topic, Sandforce SSD issues affected not only Corsair/OCZ, but everyone who used it, including Intel.

To me this just proves that you made the whole thing up or extrapolated from unrelated data.

retardware wrote:
There are only a number of chip manufacturers. See this chart to see the actual manufacturers: https://www.statista.com/statisti […]
Show full quote
dr_st wrote:

Could it be you are also not aware that every RAM stick manufacturer (OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Hynix, you-name-it) has multiple lineups, from cheap low-end, high-latency "value RAM" (which may also not be super-reliable) all the way to expensive "overclockers" RAM? No, that's impossible - I am sure you are aware of that.

There are only a number of chip manufacturers.
See this chart to see the actual manufacturers: https://www.statista.com/statistics/271726/gl … ors-since-2010/
All other "manufacturers" are actually only rebranders.

This is all well-known (note that I said 'RAM stick' manufacturers - I am well aware that most of them don't manufacture the actual chips). That still does not tell anything about the quality of chips used by different vendor (even the vendors who manufacture their own chips).

retardware wrote:

Only the finest chips are branded with the manufacturer's logo.
The others go to rebranders.

That's bullcrap. Chips are differentiated by price according to quality, and any kind of chip can go to any memory rebrander, depending on how much they want to pay for it.

retardware wrote:

For example, Kingston is one of the few reputable rebranders. They rebrand only stuff which is still of good quality.

Really? Maybe you want to look up some horrors about "Kingston Value RAM"? Or some of their SSDs, for that matter (as if it's related)?

retardware wrote:

Lesser quality costs less, and so you observe thousands of fantasy memory "brands" that appear and disappear.

Exactly. There are plenty of "fake"/ "generic" brands. Corsair/OCZ are not among these. They are reputable brands that have been around for a long time and often offer lifetime warranty on their products.

Please stop spreading unfounded misinformation.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure why you need 16 gigs though, because for games it's useless. If you want to really max out - 8 gigs with FSB overclocking should be much better.

It is well-known:

This has nothing to do with "black markets". OCZ was just pushing chips too far without proper testing, which eventually lead to their downfall. OCZ, Corsair and many other manufacturers of that kind mostly sell preoverclocked memory. Overclocking is always a lottery.

The Corsair Force Series 3 SSDs were announced just a few weeks ago - boasting SandForce SF-2281 controllers

Here's your problem. Corsair has nothing to do with it.

you can get ddr2 1200mhz in 2gb sticks

They're mediocre at best. Practically none of that memory is capable of doing 1200mhz with 5-5-5-15, only 6-6-6-18 (premium modules) or worse. Although it does not matter, because 775 platform can't make use of such high clocks anyway.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Reply 24 of 27, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
The Serpent Rider wrote:

This has nothing to do with "black markets". OCZ was just pushing chips too far without proper testing, which eventually lead to their downfall. OCZ, Corsair and many other manufacturers of that kind mostly sell preoverclocked memory. Overclocking is always a lottery.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

you can get ddr2 1200mhz in 2gb sticks

They're mediocre at best. Practically none of that memory is capable of doing 1200mhz with 5-5-5-15, only 6-6-6-18 (premium modules) or worse. Although it does not matter, because 775 platform can't make use of such high clocks anyway.

Overclocking memory does get tested at their rated speeds.. I have a set of OCZ (lol) pc9600 reapers rated at 5-5-5 and they do that speed fine, but not on all motherboards. Once you get to the very fastest ratings, the motherboards and user experience becomes the limiting factor..

Either way.. after 10+ years, a lot of ram modules seem to fail because of old age.. i've thrown out 20+gb of DDR2 of all sorts of brands/speed ratings

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 25 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Overclocking memory does get tested at their rated speeds

It does, but OCZ had very high failure rates.

Either way.. after 10+ years, a lot of ram modules seem to fail because of old age.. i've thrown out 20+gb of DDR2 of all sorts of brands/speed ratings

Even on low voltage? Most of OCed memory were dying due to extensive use on high voltage (2.2-2.4v) combined with bad cooling.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Reply 26 of 27, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Mamba wrote:
Are you sure about that? I see Tons of “AMD only” sticks of 4gb ddr2 around. ECC only registered (FB-Dimm), . Could you point to […]
Show full quote
mockingbird wrote:

You can certainly use 16GB on boards that document only an 8GB limit... P35 will also work.

Asus boards are very relaxed with regard to memory compatibility when it comes to using ECC memory. So if you want to find 4GB DDR2 modules, look for the ECC variety, as they should be much more common.

I bought 32GB of it a while back for literally pennies on the dollar and it worked absolutely fine in my P5K-E.

Are you sure about that?
I see Tons of “AMD only” sticks of 4gb ddr2 around.
ECC only registered (FB-Dimm),
.
Could you point to something specific?

Not FB-DIMM, and not Registered DDR2 (i.e. not PC2-6400R and not PC2-6400P)

But PC2-6400E (ECC) will work in Asus boards, including old boards (I use 4 x 2GB ECC modules on my Asus P5B).

4GB PC2-6400E or PC2-5300E modules will work fine. I can't point you to anything specific, I can only tell you that they work for me. They won't work with all board manufacturers, but Asus is fine.

7ivtic.png

Reply 27 of 27, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Either way.. after 10+ years, a lot of ram modules seem to fail because of old age.. i've thrown out 20+gb of DDR2 of all sorts of brands/speed ratings

Even on low voltage? Most of OCed memory were dying due to extensive use on high voltage (2.2-2.4v) combined with bad cooling.

I don't know what it is, but even sitting in a RAM tray, i've experienced a decent amount of failures - moreso than any other computer component. It doesn't seem to matter what speed or voltage ratings either

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801