VOGONS

First post, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old PC which has the M537 rev 5.1 08/15/97-VXPro-UMC8670-2A5LAH09C-00 motherboard.
It has a connector for USB ports, but AFAIK it only works in USB version 1.0, which it's incompatible with the standard 1.1.
I've tried to install an USB PCI expansion card, but every time I plug the card in the motherboard, in BIOS POST appears the message "CMOS defaults loaded", and when I try to boot Windows 98 SE the system hangs while trying to install the driver.

I have tried three different cards in different slots and a BIOS update with the same result. I have also an Ethernet card, which Windows recognizes and successfully installs the driver, but after the required reboot I got an IRQ conflict.

Is my motherboard dead or I have to check something in the jumpers configuration?

Reply 4 of 7, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VX Pro... A dreaded PCChips motherboard. What kind of chipset does USB 2.0 card have? Is it VIA, NEC or OPTi?

Try to clean the contacts of all the cards (including the USB 2.0 one) and the RAM modules, you can use an abrasive eraser to make them squeaky clean, oxidation can cause a lot of weird things. If you have access to another PSU, try it. It's not normal that a BIOS resets itself every time you put a USB 2.0 card inside. Consider replacing the CMOS battery if not now and if possible, do a BIOS update. If it keeps having issues, you might have a defective motherboard, and since it's PCChips, it wouldn't be surprising.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 5 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Also win98 doesn't like usb 2.0, so avoid it.

I think 98SE is fine with USB2.0, after you install NUSB.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 7, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that in the system info screen that appears after POST, that VGA has no IRQ assigned. There's an "Assign IRQ for VGA" in BIOS disabled by default, but activating it doesn't seem to change anything.

Windows 98 hangs with every USB card I've tried, it does not matter if it's 1.1 or 2.0, but DOS loads fine (because I suppose that doesn't recognize any).
If I wait long enough after the hang, I get a BSOD that indicates that it's not possible to write in C:. If I select the DMA option for the hard drive in Device Manager I get similar results.

I have already upgraded the BIOS and I have tried a W98 reinstall. The RAM has been installed in the board for more than 20 years and the contacts in the cards all seem clean to me. I can't try another PSU, but taking apart the SB16 ISA doesn't seems to do anything. I could try disconnecting the second hard drive.

Could be something related with IDE controller or it's just a defective motherboard?

Reply 7 of 7, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While they might seem clean, that doesn't mean they are. Try to clean the contacts, you got nothing to lose after all. Too bad you don't have another PSU, a spare one is always good to have around just to rule out possible power issues. If you have one, try a PCI ATA133 controller, the Silicon Image SIL0680 is a pretty good one and has Windows 98 drivers, just make sure you set the boot device to SCSI (although on some motherboards it's detected as a bootable IDE controller). How old is the hard drive? It might not be just the motherboard that is defective.

Did you test the RAM with Memtest86+?

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3