VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know on old x86 to 486 systems you can have both a VGA and a mono adapter and use two monitors.

But is there any way to have two VGA displays (showing different content) on a 286-486 system?

Reply 1 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, they would have conflicting memory ranges and I/O ports. Someone showed a proprietary CAD graphics card with two VGA connectors some weeks back. But that would only work in Windows or with special software.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not any two random cards, but there were dualhead cards back in the day. Miro had at least one, the miro Crystal/Magic 20 twin PCI, and they had a similar VLB card. I believe Teamware had a dualhead ISA card.

Of course these wouldn't give you dualhead in DOS, but apps (generally CAD-stuff) written to support them could use them, and I believe there were Win3.x drivers too.

Reply 3 of 10, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 was the first version of windows to natively support dual monitors, and even then you had to have cards that wouldn't conflict with one another. As said above, dual monitor setups were generally reserved for CAD programs and some borland IDEs.

May I ask why you want to do this? There is very little software support for dual monitors until long after the 286 era, and unless you plan to write your own software to utilize the monitors there is really no point to doing so.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 4 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used VGA plus a Hercules card back in the day to be able to code and debug simple games, first in Turbo C then later in C++ using DJGPP and gdb. That was pretty useful and worked reasonably well.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 10, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm planning to build a 286 and a 486 system; I've got the motherboards and most of the parts I need.
I intend building custom cases.
At work, they were throwing out cardboard product features that had built-in LCD displays, and my boss let me have them. One is 9", one is 6" and one is 5" (ro maybe 4", I forget).

I thought it might be a neat idea, when building the cases, to install one of the small LCDs as a system monitor display or a second monitor.
What I can still do is install the LCDs with their controller boards into the front of the cases, put my own custom mpg videos on the LCD controllers, and display that in the case front.

But I would have rather been able to use the small display. What gave me the idea was watching either an LGR or an 8-Bit-Guy video about the Roland MT32, which displayed a custom message on its LCD when Space Quest started playing on the connected computer.

dkarguth wrote:

Windows 98 was the first version of windows to natively support dual monitors, and even then you had to have cards that wouldn't conflict with one another. As said above, dual monitor setups were generally reserved for CAD programs and some borland IDEs.

May I ask why you want to do this? There is very little software support for dual monitors until long after the 286 era, and unless you plan to write your own software to utilize the monitors there is really no point to doing so.

Reply 6 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

Nope, they would have conflicting memory ranges and I/O ports. Someone showed a proprietary CAD graphics card with two VGA connectors some weeks back. But that would only work in Windows or with special software.

yep
http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_n9_gxitc_front.html

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 10, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I was watching 8-Bit Guy talk about building his dream computer on YouTube today, and he talked about the "Gameduino".
Now this looks like something I might could use to talk to a 2nd, built-in display on a 286 or 486...

The question still is... how would I talk to it from the computer?

Here's the Arduino page on it:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/Gameduino

Would it be possible to interface it to a second parallel port (LPT2) or 2nd (3rd?) serial port?

I really hate the idea of attaching a pi zero(W) to the case display and talk to that from the PC. Using a more powerful computer for a 286 to talk to a 6" LCD? Uhm. No.

If I wanted to just interface, say, a simple b/w character LCD to my 286, how would I go about it?

Maybe I need to search the forums for "Arduino" and see if anybody else has tried this kind of thing.

Reply 8 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use the parallel port to interface with SPI. You need 4 pins for SPI, which would be one nibble of every byte you send to the parallel port. Should be relatively straightforward.

See also here:

http://michaelgellis.tripod.com/parallel.html

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 9 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/dualhead.html

Very good source of information

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 10 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote on 2019-02-05, 20:23:

I know on old x86 to 486 systems you can have both a VGA and a mono adapter and use two monitors.

But is there any way to have two VGA displays (showing different content) on a 286-486 system?

Time for necroposting)))
COLORGRAPHIC TWIN TURBO drivers and manual?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉