VOGONS

First post, by gloomkeep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings. It appears that two Intel DX4-100 writeback CPUs (&EW tag) I acquired from one source might be fake. Fake in that the L1 cache won't work in WB mode.

The performance and cpuid is identical to a standard non-WB DX4-100 (&E and Overdrive), so I guess someone went to the effort of re-engraving an &E? The engraved font looks weird, and the Intel logo looks splotchy (you need to zoom in to see).

I've included some doom benchmark results below, against other CPUs I tested at the same time - including a real &EW WB chip (which quotes the correct cpuid of 0490h, and has white text rather than engraving on the chip). Does anyone know if fakes are common?

# DOOM 1.9s TICKS, CPU
1842, &EW (confirmed real, acquired from a different source)
2206, &E
2207, &E
2207, ODP100
2207, &EW (fake #1)
2208, &EW (fake #2)
2208, ODPR100

Attachments

• a.jpg
    Filename
    a.jpg
    File size
    587.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My AMD DX4 change its cpuid when used in WB/WT mode so I'm not sure ... I guess your mobo supports wb chips, right ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by gloomkeep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I guess your mobo supports wb chips, right ?

Yes. All the benchmarks above were done on the same modern-ish motherboard (4SA W2/W5 - vlb/isa/pci combo), which supports WB, and had the motherboard jumper settings configured for P24D but at 3.45V.

The real &EW chip provides a cpuid of 0490h (16kB L1 WB), and the benchmark shows a 20% boost. All other non-WB chips, as well as the fake WB chips show 0480h (16kB L1 WT).

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, what's more interesting is that it's called "A80486DX4WB100". I've never seen an &EW with "WB" in the name.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About the font on the fake chip from gloomkeep: The apostrophe before the years 89 and 94 is lower then normal.

My DX4 &EW chip has CPUID 0483h, in WT mode.
file.php?id=15560

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 8, by gloomkeep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

My DX4 &EW chip has CPUID 0483h, in WT mode.

Ahh so that's the difference, great!

Here are the two fakes, alongside a genuine &EW and &E.

dx4-100.jpg
Filename
dx4-100.jpg
File size
697.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gloomkeep wrote:
Greetings. It appears that two Intel DX4-100 writeback CPUs (&EW tag) I acquired from one source might be fake. Fake in that the […]
Show full quote

Greetings. It appears that two Intel DX4-100 writeback CPUs (&EW tag) I acquired from one source might be fake. Fake in that the L1 cache won't work in WB mode.

The performance and cpuid is identical to a standard non-WB DX4-100 (&E and Overdrive), so I guess someone went to the effort of re-engraving an &E? The engraved font looks weird, and the Intel logo looks splotchy (you need to zoom in to see).

I've included some doom benchmark results below, against other CPUs I tested at the same time - including a real &EW WB chip (which quotes the correct cpuid of 0490h, and has white text rather than engraving on the chip). Does anyone know if fakes are common?

# DOOM 1.9s TICKS, CPU
1842, &EW (confirmed real, acquired from a different source)
2206, &E
2207, &E
2207, ODP100
2207, &EW (fake #1)
2208, &EW (fake #2)
2208, ODPR100

It's already been mentioned, but it's a faaaaaake 🤣

The font is off, that should already be a dead giveaway. But at least your chip works.

I used to research the counterfeits and read a lot about it years ago. Most sources I read back then no longer exist, alas.

But anyway, if ever in doubt about something like the font of chips like these, I could advice to ask on CPU world. If anyone can spot a fake print on a CPU, it's gonna be on that forum I reckon.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!