NOTICE FOR IBM XT OWNERS

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: NOTICE FOR IBM XT OWNERS

Postby Tiido » 2019-2-11 @ 14:28

Modern tantalum capacitors have a fuse in them that prevents explosions. I'm not sure when this got introduced to the capacitors but probably already in the 90s for good brands. Drawback is you cannot easily tell if the part has failed and the system might develop weird issues without any visible signs.
Tiido
Oldbie

Postby root42 » 2019-2-11 @ 14:50

Tiido wrote:Modern tantalum capacitors have a fuse in them that prevents explosions. I'm not sure when this got introduced to the capacitors but probably already in the 90s for good brands. Drawback is you cannot easily tell if the part has failed and the system might develop weird issues without any visible signs.

Well, but that argument probably holds for any "safe" failure modes. If an electrolytic goes "boom" it will spew electrolyte over the board, which is not nice. If it fails silently, you have the same problem. I think we are trading better failure modes for more effort in diagnosing problems. But that will be a problem in 20-30 years, when today's caps start failing. ;)

Until then I will have taught my daughters how to debug malfunctioning boards.
Soldering, retro game reviews and more on YouTube and Bonus videos
Me playing games on my 286 and on my Sega MD2 on Twitch
80386DX@25 MHz, 8 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, schlae AdLib, PC MIDI Card + SC55MkII, XT CF Lite, OSSC 1.6
root42
Oldbie

Postby The Serpent Rider » 2019-2-11 @ 19:10

If they were actually THAT bad, they wouldn't still be in use

Actually some top-tier modern motherboards use ONLY tantalum.
The Serpent Rider
Oldbie

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware