Hardware that enhance games?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

As I recall, POD (1997) was one of the first games to use MMX, but only uses it for sound.

Hm. Probably a false memory, but I think it used it for software-based bilinear filtering on textures? Or was that a different game?

Last edited by realnc on 2019-02-16, 22:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 28, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Z.A.R maybe?
wHeretic source port also uses mmx for texture draws, and turning it on, makes textures shifted and wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 22 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember using FUFME for online adult games in the early 2000s, needless to say it really enhanced the experience.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 28, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 🤣 🤣

appiah4 wrote:

I remember using FUFME for online adult games in the early 2000s, needless to say it really enhanced the experience.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 25 of 28, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:
Errius wrote:

As I recall, POD (1997) was one of the first games to use MMX, but only uses it for sound.

Hm. Probably a false memory, but I think it used it for software-based bilinear filtering on textures? Or was that a different game?

This is what I saw when I was researching this game a few years ago:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/pod

The box prominently states that POD was the first game ever to support the new MMX instructions on Pentium II and late-model Pentium processors. In reality, the only thing POD uses them for is stereo and Dolby sound effects--very odd, given that there was a world of optimization possible in the 3D rendering area.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 26 of 28, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found something interesting, NEC PC Engine Virtual Cushion PI-AD20, Rumble for your whole body 😁
g98121424.1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnQnClvP2c

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 27 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:
doaks80 wrote:

MMX.

useless for games, MMX is Integer math only, good for DSP, things like audio filters, or making a softmodem out of your sound card. Unsuitable for accelerating 3D games. Whats worse MMX has no dedicated registers, and instead reuses/shares FPU ones, this means you cant use MMX and FPU (all 3D code pre Direct3D 7 Hardware T&L) at the same time. Intel Paid few dev houses to release make believe enhancements faking game speedup. Same deal with SSE Re: Athlon vs Duron

Nice story, but it doesn't explain why some games needed a patch to be able to run on a MMX processor...if it was all marketing such a patch wouldn't have been necessary. 😎

Reply 28 of 28, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
rasz_pl wrote:
doaks80 wrote:

MMX.

useless for games, MMX is Integer math only, good for DSP, things like audio filters, or making a softmodem out of your sound card. Unsuitable for accelerating 3D games. Whats worse MMX has no dedicated registers, and instead reuses/shares FPU ones, this means you cant use MMX and FPU (all 3D code pre Direct3D 7 Hardware T&L) at the same time. Intel Paid few dev houses to release make believe enhancements faking game speedup. Same deal with SSE Re: Athlon vs Duron

Nice story, but it doesn't explain why some games needed a patch to be able to run on a MMX processor...if it was all marketing such a patch wouldn't have been necessary. 😎

what do you mean? like wouldnt run/crash on a mmx cpu? can you name one?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction