VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been wondering if I could just use 133mhz parts and OC the chipset to run at 133mhz
But I'm worried about how stable that will be. I know motherboard specs online *claim* it can run 133mhz, but I'm not sure how badly it would affect PCI and AGP cards and if anything would break. Finding 100fsb components is surprisingly difficult so it would be nice to use 133mhz, but I'm not sure of the risk
currently it has an Nvidia Fx5200 passively cooled, some PCI cards for networking and ESS AudioDrive ISA for sound, 640meg PC100 ram, and a Pentium 3 550 100mhz fsb (which I would like to upgrade as well)... Is it safe to do so?

Reply 3 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not all BH6 have the 1/4 divider for PCI. If you don't have it, well you should stay away from 133MHz.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 4, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

440BX supports 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 dividers for the PCI bus, though it only supports 1 and 2/3 for the AGP bus. So, you end up running the AGP at 89MHz instead of 66MHz with the 133MHz system bus. Most video cards didn't like it even in 1x mode. Matrox cards like G200 and G400 could tolerate it usually. I would suggest the 116MHz system bus with the 1/3 PCI divider and 2/3 AGP divider for a decent compatibility and stability.

My Active Sales on CPU-World