VOGONS

First post, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have what appears to be an early revision of a MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum 16. It does not have the standard SCSI interface, and instead has a 24-pin IDC connector. I also found a CD-ROM drive in the attic with the same size connector, and I believe it is the correct one for this card. Can anyone confirm the compatibility? Also, if anyone else has one of these cards with the same interface, would they mind sharing the driver disk on the vogons driver website? I can't find the drivers for the old proprietary CD-ROM interface version. I also can't seem to locate the jumper settings for my particular version. Any help at all is appreciated.

J1iIiN2.jpg?1
FCXTPUe.jpg
OljGKXE.jpg
Y3MpvT0.jpg?1
ZEOpN17.jpg?1
YIePgVz.jpg?1
Zi4NHK0.jpg?1
BKyWx3M.jpg?1

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 1 of 4, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the common *34*-pin Sony CD interface that was popular on the Sound Blaster 16 and such. I don't know what drivers you would need for that, specifically. Have you tried just loading the standard PAS16 drivers? IIRC, mvsound.sys loaded support for my SCSI version automatically, so there may not be anything else you need to do.

I also found this, although I make no claims as to its suitability or safety:
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=30683

Reply 2 of 4, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I tried installing the PAS, and no drivers will detect it. I'm starting to think it and the 286 machine just hate each other or something. I've had it working in multiple computers before this with no problems, but never the 286.

Reply 3 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:

Well, I tried installing the PAS, and no drivers will detect it. I'm starting to think it and the 286 machine just hate each other or something. I've had it working in multiple computers before this with no problems, but never the 286.

Just throwing this out there... have you used any other very old sound cards in that system? I just ask because I had a problem with a PAS16 and a bunch of other cards in my 386sx due to the OSC pin in the ISA slot (all of them) not being connected to the 14.318Mhz crystal on the motherboard. The PAS16 is one of the few 16bit cards that will have this issue as far as I can tell, because it is wired to the OSC pin and doesn't have an on-board 14.318Mhz clock crystal.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 4, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a SoundBlaster AWE32 card in there right now. I wanted to go to the PAS because the 286 can't really take advantage of some of the advanced features that the AWE32 has to offer, and it would be more at home in a 386/486 system. Also, I wanted a partially period-correct CD-ROM drive to go in the PC, not that it matters that much. I did stick the PAS and CD-ROM drive in my Pentium Pro system, and the PAS works just fine. The CD-ROM drive, however, has some issues. I may try to get it working again sometime in the future, but I am perfectly happy staying with the AWE32 as long as it behaves. Besides, my new Cyrix 6x86 build is going to need a sound card and the PAS has worked in it before.