VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Question I just bought one of these on eBay and Ivr heard they don't have l2. Does anyone have one and can link me which leads coast module I need

Reply 1 of 8, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board in the PB Multimedia F170 is a Intel NV430VX (Orlando)

s-l1600.jpg

it has 2 solder spots for cache ram chips

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 2 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well shoot my solder skills arnt that good was hoping it used a coast module, I bet it's going to be quite slow without l2

Reply 3 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so I've decided the slot layout of my 3 avalible PCI slots and 4 ISA Slots

I tried the onboard, max 800x600 with above 256 colors at the desktop and i can't stand it, also tried a Trio64V+ card I had in my parts bin, same issue don't like it

Specs as of now

Pentium MMX 166 @ 3.3V
8GB HDD Windows Boot Drive
40GB HDD Storage/ISO Drive
3.5in Floppy
DVD-Rom

ISA1 - AZT3000 Soundcard/Modem Combo was in the computer when I bought it, will replace with an AWE64 or SB16 later on
ISA2 - Open
PCI1 - Matrox Millennium
PCI2 - Matrox M3D
PCI3 - 3Com 100/10 Nic (Considering buying an ISA Nic so i can add USB to this comp)
ISA 3 - Empty

Reply 4 of 8, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an F170 and it has a COAST slot for PLB cache sticks. Are you sure there isn't a longish brown slot above the CPU on your board? The cache really helped my system's performance. Mine might have rolled off the assembly line earlier (with a different board?) because the CPU is clocked the same but isn't an MMX. Also, I don't recognize the heatsink. I think mine has a fan on the CPU but I haven't had it open in a while.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 5 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Error 0x7CF wrote:

I have an F170 and it has a COAST slot for PLB cache sticks. Are you sure there isn't a longish brown slot above the CPU on your board? The cache really helped my system's performance. Mine might have rolled off the assembly line earlier (with a different board?) because the CPU is clocked the same but isn't an MMX. Also, I don't recognize the heatsink. I think mine has a fan on the CPU but I haven't had it open in a while.

positive, also mine has a Pentium 166, ebay add was wrong

Reply 6 of 8, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
Error 0x7CF wrote:

positive, also mine has a Pentium 166, ebay add was wrong

How weird. I'll have to take pictures of my board once I can get to it. If it's any consolation if your system's populated like the pic above with (256k?) cache your performance should be quite good and your stability should be excellent. I think I've got a handful of stability issues stemming from my 512K stick and its contacts.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 7 of 8, by VintageTechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello:

I am new to this site. I just got a PB Multimedia F170, and it was missing the hard drive and the ram. I'm in need of buying ram for it but I do not know which ram cards to buy. Can someone help?