VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing with that 7600GS for a while and I hadn't had any issue with it so far
jhr65pC.jpg

But then I wanted to refresh the thermal paste that was probably not doing its job very well due to age. So I pressed the plastic things holding the heatsink, but as they were very hard, I had to take a small pair of pliers. It worked well, but near the last one there was a couple of surface mounted capacitors ... and I ripped two of them by accident 🙁

The PCB is fine, but the card don't work anymore ...

Here are shoots from the crime scene

RtRk0SC.jpg

DxPwccF.jpg

I have enough soldering skills to fix that, but I have no idea what values these caps had ... Does anyone know ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 3, by raindog1975

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless you can get the schematic diagram for that particular card or an identical card to take measurements just unsolder one of the caps next to the missing ones and measure that - there are good odds that it will be the same value since they all seem to part of a group connected to the same bus/data lines/ whatever. And even if it doesn't work the card can't get more dead than it already is. Good luck.

Pentium MMX 166 Acorp 5VIA3P 32 MB EDO-Ram Matrox Millennium 4 MB -Win 95 OSR 2
AMD K6-2 400 Matsonic MS6260S 128 MB SDRAM PC 100 TNT2 M64 32 MB - Win 98 SE
AMD Athlon 1GHz Soltek SL-75 KAV 256 MB SDRAM PC 133 Geforce 6800 GT / FX 5500 - work in progress

Reply 2 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 6600GT AGP which is based on the same design, raindog1975 is probably correct that it's best to desolder one of the caps and check that.

Here's what I get when I check mine for those two caps, which are still attached so it's probably not too accurate:
left: 97nf
right: 101nf

Reply 3 of 3, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The picture is a bit fuzzy, but it surely looks like two of the 470uF/16V capacitors have vented (one near the DVI connector, other one at the opposite end).
Regarding the broken SMD caps, I'm sure the previous posters are right.