VOGONS

First post, by mkubiak402

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm having some odd behavior on the Secondary IDE Interface I have not played around with a lot of older hardware like this in a log time so this might be normal?
or just a quirk of this motherboard?

When I plug hard drives in the primary IDE Interface the 2 hard drives detect fine and i see them in DOS i can Read and wright to them fine.
but when i plug any hard drive in the secondary IDE Interface it detect all the drives fine but when i load up dos i cant see any drives not even in Fdisk.
if i plug a CD-Rom in to the Secondary IDE Interface and I boot in to DOS it loads the drives read disks fine.
my main reason to use the Secondary IDE port going is to get a CF card working on that with rear mount CF adapter to move fines but it is not even working right with a normal Hard drive.

Note: the CF card works fine on the primary port..

My setup i am trying to do is
primary IDE Interface - Master HDD Slave CD-ROM
Secondary IDE Interface - Master on CF card

So maybe i don't have some thing setup right? whats your take on this?

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/F … 486-VIP-IO.html

DOS 6.22 FIC-486-VIP-IO AM486-DX2 66Mhz 64mg
Win98se MS-5169 AMD K6-III+ 450 @ 550Mhz 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win98se GA-6VXE7+ Intel Pentium III 750 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win XP MS-6712 AMD Athlon Xp 2700+ 2gb 6600GT

Reply 1 of 3, by p1p1p1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

confirmed, same happends here, looks like only one jumper in manual is related to IDE interface,
JP26: 1-2 both ide interfaces, 2-3 secondary ide only ?

hdd drives on secondary IDE are detected in bios, but not working in system, any solution?

Reply 2 of 3, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That integrated IDE controller is a PCI Busmaster, controller yes? Sounds like it is an early EIDE controller that might support as high as PIO 3, 4 & Multi-word DMA 1, 2

Wild guess here, but perhaps the drives drop to lowest common denominator ATA-0 when they are on the same channel but try and fail to negotiate a higher PATA protocol when on separate channels.

Can you use HWinfo dos to see what ATA protocol they are using when they are on the same channel?