VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone ever come across power supplies from a manufacturer called Zeck?
I've recently got my hands on two inexpensive AT PSUs, one from Liteon (which appears to be a Compaq proprietary model) and a standard AT from Zeck, model ZKS-520T.
Google suggests that it's mostly used for industrial systems, which to me suggests that it might have good build quality, but I was just curious if anyone has ever used one, and how good people consider them to be.

Attachments

• Zeck.jpg
    Filename
    Zeck.jpg
    File size
    427.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 2 of 16, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll take some pictures later. Had a quick look yesterday. I saw a couple of large Panasonic caps in there, but couldn't identify the others.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 16, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right. Took some pictures of the guts of the thing. I'm unable to identify anything other than the who large Panasonics.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8KtWI7tFTQ … f2x3LrZ9Ah-kLk3
I hope that link works properly.

I also had a quick look inside the Liteon PSU, and noticed it seemed to be mostly made up of Nippon Chemi-Con caps. I need to measure the voltages at the motherboard plugs though, cause if the lead colours are anything to go by, they've rearranged it compared to standard AT. But if I can swap them around and turn it into a standard AT pinout, it might be a very solid PSU. But I think 146W may be a bit on the low side for my new Pentium 233mmx build though, which is why I'm leaning towards the Zeck model at 200W.

Reply 5 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lead colors don't necessarily mean anything. I have several different Delta supplies that were recovered from various OEM machines. (I bought them on Ebay, so I don't know where exactly they came from.) On one pair of AT supplies I have, the +12V rail is blue instead of yellow, which of course changes the -12V rail color in the AT connector. The PG signal was different as well. Gray, I think, instead of orange.

One easy way (when you already have it open anyway) is to check where the leads are soldered to. Many supplies have the rails marked on the PCB, so you can see exactly which is which.

I have four PCs running on 145W PSUs... two 386s, a 486, and a Pentium 166. My Pentium II is on a 200W supply, as is my Pentum III. Don't worry about it unless you've proven it to be a problem. Usually, PCs take much less power than people think they do. A good rough guess can be made by taking the printed specs on all your drives and subtracting that wattage from the PSU's marked maximum output. Find the TDP of your CPU and (if applicable) GPU and subtract those as well. Figure maybe 10-20W for other add-in cards and the chipset and RAM. Those are all maximum values, as often is the PSU's rating, so you don't really need to pad anything. If you haven't blown the wattage budget, you're fine. Remember, you're not often running the CPU and GPU and all your drives at full tilt all at the same time.

Reply 6 of 16, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

Right. Took some pictures of the guts of the thing. I'm unable to identify anything other than the who large Panasonics.

Those 470uF primary caps are well enough for 200W total power. There is minimal EMI input filtering. There is a bridge rectifier, probably 4- 6 Amp one. Primary switching seems to be done by 2SC4130 BJTs in this half bridge arrangement. 2SC2625 or MJE13007 might be a better option depending how much the circuit is optimized. Main transformer seems to be 35 size with center tap for secondary common ground. Enough even for 250W total output. That current sensing coil glued to the pcb with the wire going through it looks a bit kludgey but only aesthetically.
HA17339 does the primary pwm. TL494 comparator is practically the secondary housekeping and power ok generator chip. On the pictures only a to-247 package output diode is visible. This is the 5V rail rectifier. Probably a 30-40 Amp Schottky. 12V might be done by a 10- 12Amp double diode. Only the TO-220 diode casing is visable.
Those GPE caps on the secondary output filter look wierd without a top vent, but probalby have one on the bottom. The unit could use a fan controller circuit, but only if the fan is loud. This PSU can easily power even a beefy Pentium build.

Reply 7 of 16, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally found some time (and energy) to pop the lid on the Liteon PSU and take some snaps of the innards.
Would be nice if this is a standard AT PSU, because from the looks of things, the components are top notch. Even a nice Panasonic fan. I would imagine this wasn't the cheapest PSU when it was made.
So, Dave86, what can you make of these pics?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-MQW8EkwQRm … 4kfiSrT2_CnxGDI

Reply 8 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, if it were mine, I would use it. Decent quality caps, and they're probably still OK, but I would replace them (and the fan) just for good measure. Good clearance between the primary and secondary sides, despite the somewhat unconventional layout. (AC in at the top left corner, circling around the board to the DC output at the bottom left corner.) Looks like they spared no expense on the line filtering and protection circuitry. My only concern is, I don't see a mains fuse. Could just be missing it, though.

Reply 9 of 16, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a fuse, but it was in a spot that was difficult to photograph. I wouldn't want to have to change it... Very hard to reach.

Reply 10 of 16, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

Would be nice if this is a standard AT PSU, because from the looks of things, the components are top notch. Even a nice Panasonic fan. I would imagine this wasn't the cheapest PSU when it was made.

Yeah this Lite-on unit is fairly overbuilt and the components are high quality. That UC3844 drives a FET and unlike the Zeck with its two BJT in half bridge this one can slighty be more efficient even (3- 4% more).
The only thing that holds back the max output is the configuration of the protection circuit. Very serious and precise. This is a 150W max combined output psu.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these were made for Compaq 486 machines.

Reply 11 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be honest it's higher quality than any AT PSU currently in use in my AT systems.. Even the shittiest AT PSUs, I tend to clean and use.. They are hard to come by these days.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 16, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DAVE86 wrote:
Yeah this Lite-on unit is fairly overbuilt and the components are high quality. That UC3844 drives a FET and unlike the Zeck wit […]
Show full quote
LunarG wrote:

Yeah this Lite-on unit is fairly overbuilt and the components are high quality. That UC3844 drives a FET and unlike the Zeck with its two BJT in half bridge this one can slighty be more efficient even (3- 4% more).
The only thing that holds back the max output is the configuration of the protection circuit. Very serious and precise. This is a 150W max combined output psu.

According to Google, it is indeed a Compaq power supply, yes. With the colour coding on the wires being non-standard, and Compaq being a brand known for sometimes using weird pinouts (at least with ATX style connectors), I don't want to just plug it in and hope for the best. I'd like to make doubly, nay triply, sure before connecting it to a motherboard.

Reply 13 of 16, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:
DAVE86 wrote:
Yeah this Lite-on unit is fairly overbuilt and the components are high quality. That UC3844 drives a FET and unlike the Zeck wit […]
Show full quote
LunarG wrote:

According to Google, it is indeed a Compaq power supply, yes. With the colour coding on the wires being non-standard, and Compaq being a brand known for sometimes using weird pinouts (at least with ATX style connectors), I don't want to just plug it in and hope for the best. I'd like to make doubly, nay triply, sure before connecting it to a motherboard.

You can use it on any AT system no problem. Voltage rail pinout is standard.
ATX is more strict on "violating" cable color coding still there are some exeptions on some OEM builds...

Reply 14 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

To be honest it's higher quality than any AT PSU currently in use in my AT systems.. Even the shittiest AT PSUs, I tend to clean and use.. They are hard to come by these days.

Indeed they are. Startech recently stopped producing their AT PSU so I grabbed a couple for backup. There’s still an Athena (or something like that) branded unit being made but they look pretty rubbishy.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't get a good look at the DC output section from the photos, but I did see one rail marked on the PCB as +12V (IIRC, it was orange rather than yellow), which means they're probably all labeled. The P8/P9 connectors look like they're probably right to me, but I can't say for sure that the -12V and -5V aren't swapped, or that the POK isn't inverted or somehow different.

Basically, if you can find the designations on the PCB for +/-5V and +/-12V, track those colors to the AT connectors, and compare that with a normal AT pinout, you'll be good to go. The POK will most likely be standard as well, and if it isn't, it's almost certainly just inverted -- which means the board won't power up, but otherwise will be safe and sound.

Reply 16 of 16, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LunarG wrote:
Right. Took some pictures of the guts of the thing. I'm unable to identify anything other than the who large Panasonics. https:/ […]
Show full quote

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8KtWI7tFTQ … f2x3LrZ9Ah-kLk3
I hope that link works properly.

I also had a quick look inside the Liteon PSU, and noticed it seemed to be mostly made up of Nippon Chemi-Con caps. I need to measure the voltages at the motherboard plugs though, cause if the lead colours are anything to go by, they've rearranged it compared to standard AT. But if I can swap them around and turn it into a standard AT pinout, it might be a very solid PSU. But I think 146W may be a bit on the low side for my new Pentium 233mmx build though, which is why I'm leaning towards the Zeck model at 200W.

my Packard Bell OEM Liteon uses Nippon Chemicon caps, i have been using it in my Pentium 133 430VX build.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS