VOGONS

First post, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is probably a really simple question, I recently picked up a VLB I/O and IDE card for my 486 dx2-66. It has jumper settings for a CPU clock speed of 33 MHz or 50 MHz. I assume I need to set it to 33 MHz as a dx2-66 is 2x33, and not 50 MHz which is closer to 66. Is this correct? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this was made before the DX2, so this is probably the bus speed actually

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, because before the DX2 was made, the bus speed was the CPU speed as well, and intel made a 486DX 50MHz (not DX2).

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fimbulvetr wrote:

This is probably a really simple question, I recently picked up a VLB I/O and IDE card for my 486 dx2-66. It has jumper settings for a CPU clock speed of 33 MHz or 50 MHz. I assume I need to set it to 33 MHz as a dx2-66 is 2x33, and not 50 MHz which is closer to 66. Is this correct? Thanks!

Yes, this is correct.
99,9% setting the jumper according to a 50MHz bus CPU will just divide the bus speed by 2 (25MHz).
There were very, VERY few (and out of specs) VLB card that could do 50MHz. 40MHz is an achievement of its own.