VOGONS

First post, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I dug this out of the loft. Its a Touch screen panel PC that I bought many years ago at an Amateur Radio Rally and used it to play MP3s from my home bar

It is a P266MMX, 12 GB HD, 64 MB RAM. According to the Windows ME properties it has 'Chips & Tech 69000 PCI Graphics - whatever that is!' and a 'Crystal Sound Card'

I never actually had a look to see what is actually inside it (mobo etc)

It is in good working order and the touch screen works fine. I actually removed the panel PC from the plastic casing - it then has a metal enclosure. The plastic housing has built in speakers.

I really don't know anything about this PC apart from the specs but maybe some of you good folks do?

Attachments

• 20190206_160536.jpg
    Filename
    20190206_160536.jpg
    File size
    701.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20190206_160405.jpg
    Filename
    20190206_160405.jpg
    File size
    530.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190206_160350.jpg
    Filename
    20190206_160350.jpg
    File size
    597.47 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 4, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like more or less some sort of NCR cash register minus the drawer thing (whatever it's called in English). But which model? That might be written on the tag on the back of the machine.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 4, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a look for that Chips & Tech 69000 thingy and found a huge amount of low level data about this device. i've not found so much info about a GPU in detail before. This would be a lot of fun if someone is in to writing drivers or demos or chip level machine code programming. Loads of registers to play with 🤣. You could 'hit the metal' like back in the Amiga Days!

http://pccomponents.com/datasheets/ASIL-B6900.PDF

Rich

Reply 3 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They weren't really targeted for a specific industry -- NCR made all sorts of commercial and industrial computers that anyone could buy for their specific use case. They could be in everything from industrial HMI's to ticket kiosks at the airport. Since you say it came with speakers, it was likely used as a kiosk of some sort that the public interacted with, where sound was needed.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals