VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this one on Ebay recently to have a board with a socketed 386. Seems to work otherwise, but I can't get it to read or write from/to a hard disk. Tried different ISA controllers, cables, and one each 80MB Conner and 402MB Quantum -- both work elsewhere. It boots fine from a floppy.

The BIOS is an early Award BIOS. It gives you type 48 and 49, both of which allow you to enter CHS. The drive is detected, and fdisk can "successfully" create a partition. But, if you reboot, there are no partitions defined. It doesn't seem to be able to boot from a pre-formatted HDD either. There's a boot sector virus protection option that, when enabled, prompts to allow write ops to the partition table. But, allowing the write does not seem to do anything. Disabling the option in the BIOS shows a big blue warning before booting DOS, and does not prompt when writing to disk, but it still doesn't actually work.

The board is a TK83305-4N-D-02, which appears to be a variant with CPU and math-co sockets, Award BIOS, and the Dallas RTC with integrated battery. There's a different variant on Ebay now with QFP SX CPU, an AMI BIOS, and separate RTC, external battery, and 32kHz clock crystal.

Anybody have a working board and/or a good BIOS image? (PS., what is everyone using to dump and write these? Dedicated flashing hardware, or some early flashing utility?)

Reply 1 of 4, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every time I think for sure it's a BIOS bug or corruption....

Turns out the RTC module had been inserted incorrectly at some point in its life, and some of the pins got bent underneath it. Not entirely sure how it even worked as well as it did. I only found out because it's one of those encapsulated modules with the battery, and it's of course dead.

Still would love to know if 386-era boards supports software flashing, or if you pretty much have to own hardware to do that before ... what ... the PII generation?

Reply 2 of 4, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have that board but I have another with the same chipset (MX83C305/6), you can see it and download its BIOS at post #15 here.
However, the problems you are experiencing could be due to the dead Dallas module, so I'd first replace that (or mod it with an external battery).
I think Flash chips for the BIOS were just starting to appear in late 486 era, and even then were quite uncommon.
I'm using the TL866 to read the chips, and also got some (dubious/fake*) UV-EPROMs and Flash chips from the Far East, very helpful for situations when a board arrives without a BIOS chip.

(* - most of the times they work OK)

Reply 3 of 4, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After fixing the RTC pins, it seems to be working OK now. I am able to boot from the HDD anyway.

Nevertheless, I might try yours since it's an AMI and mine's Award. I usually prefer Award, but this one is OLD and not as nice as the later ones. (OTOH, it seems to support my 800MB HDD, which I don't think 386-era AMI BIOSes usually do.)

Thanks for the heads-up. 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and I just noticed that both of my floppies are detected as 360K, despite being set in the BIOS as 1.2M, 1.44M. I think this one is a lost cause until I replace that RTC module with something else. I'm just chasing my tail here.

The saga continues in a couple weeks, when I get some adapter PCBs in the mail.