VOGONS

First post, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey ya all,

I started working on the machine about a year ago, that is picking some related parts every now and then. I knew what I wanted from it (an exclusive win95 rig, early 3D and win9x games up to '98) and the exact hardware I fancy: 233MMX S7, 64mb RAM, AWE32, Matrox+Voodoo1.

Since Voodoo cards are relatively rare, every time I stumbled upon one locally, I grabbed it. This way I was able to accumulate 5 of them:
- Voodoo2 Orchid
- 2x Voodoo2 noname in SLI
- Voodoo Diamond Monster 3D
- AGP Voodoo 3 1000

But it was not all the roses. No roses at all, to be blunt.

When it finally came down to testing it, turned out that the Orchid works only once in a blue moon. First of the nonames had it's Voodoo2 chipset legs damaged, while the other one displayed some artifacts and froze. And alas, my high hopes for Diamond's Voodoo1 were crushed as well. It had a missing cap - so I went and bought a freaking Japanese soldering iron to fix it - an adventure on it's own - it's been over a decade since my last soldering job. But after all of this, when it's activated - the screen simply goes to sleep and the PC stops responding.

I got so frustrated with the whole situation, I decided to just chill and play some Diablo. If you used to twisted plots, you should not expect a happy end by this point.. I've been using COM mouse from my DOS machine and the sensitivity was subpar, so I swapped it for PS/2. It was then when I realized that the PS/2 is dead. Such a cherry on top. It was my best S7 mobo in extremely mint condition.

Anyway, given that I would have to replace the motherboard in any case, now I'm at a crossroads:
a. I still have the Voodoo 3, albeit untested. I also accidentally own an ASUS SS7 board I could theoretically pair with it, though I strongly prefer the original Socket 7 platform. Thus the build will be temporary even if everything is fine with the hardware. I know that V3 doesn't work with some early 3dfx titles (about 20% from what I've seen online) and have no idea how well it performs in lowres 2D and how is the picture quality.
b. I could just replace the mobo with my second best S7 one, plug the Matrox Mystique back in and enjoy the beautiful 2D. As for 3D games, I could play it in software mode, same way I did back in the day; install it on my P3+ti200; or just ignore it altogether for now, I don't think that the list is that huge anyway. Later I could gamble on another V1, if I feel like it (anything with a V in it feels like a crapshoot to me at this moment).

After being backstabbed by all the evil magic I'm leaning towards "b". At the same time, some Carmageddon 2 and Unreal can prove to be the best remedy. All opinions are highly appreciated.

P.S. All but Voodoo 3 are thoroughly tinkered with and are DOA, so please don't waste your time.

Last edited by 0kool on 2019-02-25, 12:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So try the Voodoo 3.

Even if it won't work with some of the really old Glide games, you will be much better off than without it.

2D tended to be really nice on the Voodoo 3 cards... so much so that most of them put out a cleaner signal than the highly regarded Matrox cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 4, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info, cyclone3d.

cyclone3d wrote:

Even if it won't work with some of the really old Glide game

That's what bothers me. Firstly, I can't quite understand it the card will work with all of the windows glide games. The topic is helpful -
Voodoo 2/3 DOS Glide compatibility matrix
Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

However the "DOS " in it's title makes me wonder if it's mostly related to DOS and not windows, or not. Will all this "glide library replacement thing" also apply to windows games or they will just work? Also it's a clear case of CPU (233MMX) bottleneck, even with Voodoo 3 1000. So if many games before '98 will have issues, then '98 and above will start requiring more processor power. In that case this whole project doesn't make enough sense. I'm not even talking about Windows 95 AGP combo, though upon quick research it appears that OSR 2 with USB patch should do it.

By the way, I can switch between glide and D3D with Voodoo 3 in windows games, correct? This way, it there are problems with glide, I can just run it in DirectX.

The reason I'm still contemplating - the P5A-B board needs to be thoroughly cleaned before use, which I find quite annoying yet necessary. Hence me trying to lay all the groundwork first.

If it's not quite clear yet, somehow it's my first experience with Voodoo cards. So please forgive my ignorance 😀.

Reply 3 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Game Planet Of Death (POD) is a windows game, but it's really tough to get it working due to the awful detection tool it uses to find a 3dfx card. You need to fake DLLs, to set SST variables and do all sorts of tricks before getting it operational with 3dfx cards.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS compatibility is more of an issue as there was not really a standard to reference the glide driver which is why "glide library replacement thing" is, um, a thing?
Think in sound card terms, Some games need their own settings, some just use the set blaster variable.

Windows is a bit better, but not great. Need for Speed 3,4 and Powerslide are all games that need patching/hacks to support a V3.
Other games are fine and just ask windows "Any glide compatible cards available"

And yes, Just as you can set a game to run in software mode or Hardware mode, You'll now just have a 3rd option, Software, D3D, Glide