VOGONS

First post, by ChrisDOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I recently put a generic DVD-ROM drive (from around 2002) into my old PII Compaq Deskpro (1998) running Windows 98SE (beause why not? 😀 )

The drive is jumpered as slave on the 2nd IDE Channel and as far as I can see the system recognizes it, since it plays and reads CD-ROMs perfectly fine.
Device manager doesn't give me any warnings, identifies it as a 16x DVD drive and lets me put it into DMA mode.

However, as soon as I put in an actual DVD (data or movie) the system freezes / locks up after like 3 seconds and I'm forced to perform a cold reboot.
Now i've read that DVD drives use seperate read-heads for DVD and CD playback respectively so of course I could just have a faulty drive. But wouldn't that just cause it to do... well, nothing when a DVD is inserted? (instead of producing a freeze)

Maybe someone knows what could be the issue here, any help is very much appreciated! 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be as simple as that the DVD drive is too new for the system (although it usually is the ones from 2005 or later that cause weird behaviour...)

Reply 2 of 2, by ChrisDOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answer but I found the solution!

Turns out it was the program CDSlow (which I use for reducing the noise/speed of my CD-ROM drive on that computer, since it's also pretty "new" and fast and way too loud).

I hadn't set any speed options for DVDs on the new drive, therefore the system froze. After I did everything works fine 😀