VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I picked up this fully working Expo 486 SX 25mhz computer for cheap recently.

Can anyone identify the make and model of this MB? I didn't see anything printed on the MB with this info.

Also, I have never worked on a 486 MB and noticed that there is an upgrade CPU slot. What CPU upgrades are compatible with this board? Would any DX2 66 or DX4 100 work?

I am also wondering what is the biggest hard drive I can install? It came with a 200mb hard drive that only has 5mb of free space left on it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• expo08a.jpg
    Filename
    expo08a.jpg
    File size
    807.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • expo06a.jpg
    Filename
    expo06a.jpg
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo10.jpg
    Filename
    expo10.jpg
    File size
    353.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo04a.jpg
    Filename
    expo04a.jpg
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo03a.jpg
    Filename
    expo03a.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My educated guess (being unable to identify the board) would be a normal DX2 or an overdrive DX4 CPU-wise. As for a hard drive, this style of AMI BIOS often limits it to 512MB (no LBA support).

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 2 of 13, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it have to be a DX4 Overdrive, or would a non-Overdrive DX4 work?

Is there anyway to update the bios to accept a larger hard drive?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a voltage thing. Non-overdrive DX4s use 3V-3.45V, this board can only do 5V. Interposers exist that can regulate the voltage down to 3V, but they are rare. I found one (broken, and repaired it) and use it to run a DX4-100 on a board like this.

As for HDD - possibly there's a newer system BIOS that accepts something (slightly) bigger, but don't count on it. If you have a network card with a ROM socket, take a look at XTIDE.

Reply 4 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

post a full mobo pic, the best upgrade would be some cache memory since I don't see any getting reported

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

post a full mobo pic, the best upgrade would be some cache memory since I don't see any getting reported

In the last pic you can see empty sockets in the background. That would definitely help.

Board looks weird. VTech chipset, CL onboard graphics. Probably would be nice if upgraded by a 487. Makes the machine even more weird. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because the socket is 168-pin rather than 169, there is a good chance that a normal CPU will work. I would definitely track down the manual first. Some of the boards with soldered CPUs will only accept CPUs with the 487 pin configuration. Those sockets will only accept ODP type overdrives. ODPR overdrives have standard CPU pinout.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 13, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are some additional pics. Hope they help. Thanks.

Attachments

• expo09a.jpg
    Filename
    expo09a.jpg
    File size
    1009.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo07a.jpg
    Filename
    expo07a.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo05a.jpg
    Filename
    expo05a.jpg
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo02a.jpg
    Filename
    expo02a.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • expo01a.jpg
    Filename
    expo01a.jpg
    File size
    659.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, there is definitely room for a cache upgrade. There are even jumper settings for SRAM type selection. Other than that any 5V 486DX will be an upgrade, due to the FPU. However it is questionable if you will notice a speed difference, since e.g. Quake won't run well on this machine anyway. Nice thing: it seems to have a local bus graphics card. That should be reasonably fast.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9 of 13, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of cache chips does this use? I'm never installed cache before and am not sure what to look for on eBay.

Also, as this is a 25mhz system, would I be limited to CPUs that are a multiple of 25mhz (eg 50mhz, 75mhz)? Or, do you think a DX2 66 will work?

My current plan is to upgrade to a DX2 66, max out the cache (once I know which type to buy) and install an IDE controller card with an onboard bios support up to 8.4gb hard drives (which I do have).

Also, I would not be trying to run Quake on this. I have plenty of Pentium 1, 2, and 3 systems for that. I was thinking earlier DOS games like Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Reply 10 of 13, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's hard to say without the manual but I don't see any way to disable that PQFP processor, so that signal is probably routed to the upgrade socket. Which means only 487 or ODP overdrive will work. So don't buy that DX4 just yet.

EDIT: Or maybe I've misunderstood the JP6 description. It's problaby that jumper that does it. In that case ODPR or any DX/DX2/DX4 (so long it's a 5V one) will work.

Reply 11 of 13, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question on the cache upgrade.

It appears that this motherboard can take 32kx8 and 32kx9 SRAM chips. What is the difference between the two? Is one faster than the other?

Also, I see 4 SRAM sockets. Would I just search on eBay for 32kx8 or 32kx9 SRAM cache and just buy 4 of them? Are they all the same capacity?

I have no clue. Please help.

Thanks.

Reply 12 of 13, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the corner at the back away from the keyboard connector I'm expecting a "35-xxxx-xx" marking for a PcPartner/Vtech board. If you reply with that marking and/or make a full overhead layout picture we might be able to tell which model.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dorunkāku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tegrady wrote on 2019-02-25, 15:16:
Question on the cache upgrade. […]
Show full quote

Question on the cache upgrade.

It appears that this motherboard can take 32kx8 and 32kx9 SRAM chips. What is the difference between the two? Is one faster than the other?

Also, I see 4 SRAM sockets. Would I just search on eBay for 32kx8 or 32kx9 SRAM cache and just buy 4 of them? Are they all the same capacity?

I have no clue. Please help.

Thanks.

Better late than never:
This board is a PcPartner/ VTech 35-2566-00. It is not yet documented on theretroweb.com.
With JP1 and JP6 in the appropriate position it can run 5 Volt AMD and Intel 486DX and DX2 class processors. If you want to run a lower voltage CPU you will need an interposer. If you want to run a 4x multiplier the interposer needs to support that.

With JP2 you can set the FSB:
FSB\JP2 1-2 3-4 5-6
16MHz open close close
20MHz close open close
25MHz open open close
33MHz close close open
40MHz open close open

The 12MHz and 44MHz that the clockgenerator supports are not supported by the motherboard.
The ISA bus is automatically set to FSB/4 for FSB upto 33MHz and to FSB/6 at 40MHz.

So if you want to run a Intel 486DX2 66 you need to: Close positions 1-2, 4-5 and 6-7 on JP1, move the jumper on JP6 to position 2-3 and close position 1-2 and 3-4 on JP2.

For the L2 cache you will need two 8Kx8-bit DIP28 SRAMs and four 32kx8-bit DIP28 SRAMs, 20ns or 15 ns will do. Put the two 8kx8 SRAMs in the two 28 pin DIP sockets. Put the 32Kx8 SRAMs in the 32 pin DIP sockets with pin 1 of the chip in contact 3 of the socket. You should end up with a neat rectangle of six chips. Don't forget to enable the L2 cache in the BIOS.
Although the 32 pin DIP sockets suggest otherwise the chipset does not support more than 128KB of cache.
For the 8Kx8-bit DIP28 SRAMs search for W2465AK, UM6164BK or AS7C164.
For the 32Kx8-bit DIP28 SRAMs search for W24257AK, UM61256AK or IS61C256A.

The L1 cache of the CPU can be switched off with the key combination Crtl+Alt+Numpad[-] and switched on with Ctrl+Alt Numpad[+].