VOGONS

First post, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have any of you guys used one of these cheap Cisco CF cards:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CISCO-512MB-CF-MEM180 … bmeaU:rk:2:pf:0
as a primary, bootable storage device in a DOS machine? The reason I ask is, apparently not all CF cards are bootable. The last card I bought, a Transcend, would not boot my 486 or P4 test machine, even though MS-DOS Setup detected it as a hard drive and successfully copied files to it.

Thanks

Last edited by Standard Def Steve on 2019-02-24, 06:54. Edited 1 time in total.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a good idea. Note that DOS 6.x and DOS 7.x behave different with that command.
See "Notes on FDISK": https://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/FDISK.htm

I once had a similar looking issue with Linux. After I finished testing a flavour of it, I deleted the drive and did a reformat, but DOS/Win98 couldn't boot from it anymore.
The boot manager of the day (Lilo ?) apparently infested track 0, which I was unable to overwrite with the on-board tools of these OSes.
Later on, I found several disk wipers, especially S0Kill (DOS) that helped me to repair the HDD.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

Did you try doing:

fdisk /mbr

and it still wouldn't boot?

Yep, tried that with two different versions of fdisk: DOS 6.22 and Win98SE.
Also tried ATCFWCHG.COM and another small utility (the name escapes me) to try and switch the CF card into fixed disk mode. No luck, of course. 😒

Jo22 wrote:

I once had a similar looking issue with Linux. After I finished testing a flavour of it, I deleted the drive and did a reformat, but DOS/Win98 couldn't boot from it anymore.
The boot manager of the day (Lilo ?) apparently infested track 0, which I was unable to overwrite with the on-board tools of these OSes.
Later on, I found several disk wipers, especially S0Kill (DOS) that helped me to repair the HDD.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try SOKill tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!