VOGONS

And then there was white smoke...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mdog69 wrote:
How can a 35A power supply differentiate between a normal 10A load and 10A flowing though a piece of glowing wire surrounded by […]
Show full quote
realoldguy23 wrote:

BTW: Even if the lead is rated for 7 amps only, it can bear a lot more for a short period of time without glowing and insulator melting, which is enough for the PSU to sense the over current and shut down.

How can a 35A power supply differentiate between a normal 10A load and 10A flowing though a piece of glowing wire surrounded by smouldering insulation?

I've already given you the answer - It can't!

If you want to give me the details of the power technology that can differentiate between a "nice" load and a "naughty" load, let us know and I'll put the popcorn on.

I think the tone of your reply is not quite appropriate.

The question you ask is not the question that should be asked. Why should only 10A flow through this wire in case of a short? If you short the PSU through this wire, a much higher current than 10A, even a higher current than 38A will flow for a very short amount of time. Of course the voltage will break down in this case. The wire and the insulator will not burn or melt in this case, but the PSU's OCP will (or should) step in.

To melt and burn the insulator like in the picture, the current of 38A would need to flow for at least 1 to 2 seconds. I think much longer in reality. And btw, a 7 amp rated cable wouldn't even get warm when 10A are running through it. No production electronics works with such small safety margins.

And now enjoy your popcorn. I have said enough.