VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of making separate thread, I'll list them here, hoping that someone can help me 😀

* does anyone has the schematics for the S-510A-1 LED display? There is none on Minuszerodegrees. The turbo speed is good but the other one isn't

* I wanted to make a build with a Soyo 4SA2 and UMC U5S. I got this board for free but the battery was still there and there was a lot of damage from the leakingl. I scrubbed the board like crazy with white vinegar and IPA. The first time I did a quick boot, CPU was recognised and there was a keyboard error since I didn't connect one. Today I wanted to continue but the keyboard error still remains. I'm guessing the damage is more severe than I thought. The 3 leds power up briefly when I power up the machine but after that nothing. I really need to get a multimeter ( I know but I had expensive months lately 😒 ) to check the fuse near the connector and check the traces but I took some close ups from the damaged area. Any thoughts? The soldering seems very in a very poor condition no?

SiWKUqKl.jpg
QEiHU3tl.jpg

Anyway, can the CPU be used in another board or does it need to be mentioned in the CPU support list? I have 2 other ones but none seems to mention the UMC CPU (which is 486SX equivalent?)

* this one will be a complete noob question haha but I don't have any experience with it. I want to install a Primax Soundstorm (GUS clone) next to my other soundcard. I tried it with a driver found here but couldn't make it to work, even though I set different values for the GUS (tried it to pair with SB PRO2).
Which driver to I need because I see CD images, floppy images,different versions....On Retronn.de they say 4.11 and why wouldn't it work since I think there were no settings the same as my SB. The card itself works because I tried it before but as single card option.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Without a multimeter you won't be able to do much. I mean a simple testing circuit made of battery+resistor+LED might do in a pinch but these days you can get a cheap multimeter for a few $ in most shops that carry electric goods like switches, sockets, fuses etc. Start with the keyboard socket and trace the connection back to the chip that controls it. Battery spill will turn all solder into porous, non-conductive state and you can tell by the loss of the shine you have tons of affected parts.

The good news is though the U5S CPU is completly compatible with 486SX. In fact if you can choose between SX and U5S, pick UMC, it's way faster at the same clock in most apps and games.
If the mobo has 2 different jumper settings, for "old" and "new" SX, aka -S parts (Intel added system management to their later 486 chips, including SX line), use the older variant setup.

Reply 2 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know they are cheap but somehow I never get to buying one. I know, a poor excuse 😀
Next month I hope...
Indeed a lot of solder looks really bad and chunky and it's a large area.
I think someone with experience can save this one but that's not me. Will give it a go in testing everything though.

Good news about my cpu then. I have a board which I still need to identify that holds a DX2 so that should work if I find the jumpersettings.
I asked because the SAW2 has a specific setting for the UMC. I'm going to check if it's the same for an SX in the manual.

Reply 3 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you checked the back side? As the front side doesn't look so bad. You should check the tiny traces but none look like broken on this photos.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was some leakage there too but it cleaned up pretty well. I'll need to look at it again when I have more light tomorrow.
I really thought the soldering looks bad on the keyboard IC and the 2 chips above.

Reply 5 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it were my board, I would remove all those components, replace the SMD passives, and clean and reflow the ICs with fresh solder paste. However, I guess that if you don't have a multimeter, you probably also haven't gotten around to buying a hot air rework station. 😉 By the looks -- how nasty the solder looks, and how far it spread -- I would guess that even if you surface-clean it, there's significant risk of it continuing to degrade. It's not an impossible job if you have a decent soldering iron, but it certainly would have a better chance in the hands of someone with more tools and repair experience. Up to you whether you want to pursue it or find a different board to start with.

Reply 6 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe I have one of these Chinese hot air thingies but haven't tried it tbh. My soldering is also ummmm almost non existent 😀
The multimeter will be for next month

I know someone who can do it for me but the costs will be pretty high for no guarantee. This board is ideal for someone who had time,skill and patience. I'll try to find info about my spare board for now.

Reply 7 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update.

I managed to set the LED display.
If anyone would come across it, you can configure it like an S-501/F502

The Soyo board is back in the stock but I can do a swap for this board. If anyone knows which one it is...It has a Contaq 82c596 A chip. I searched on Stason for this chipset and one board came close but not exactly the same.
oCgbvDXl.jpg

Reply 9 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm that doesn't give me a result 😒

*EDIT*

So I got the board and decided to try and identify it through the BIOS string and I am stuck again.

It's an AMI BIOS

tSxyRsCl.jpg

Now if I look up the third string, 1608, I get CMC. Going from there,according to Wim's BIOS, there is no board with the Contaq Chipset:

https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/cmc.jsp

If I enter the last string, I get this:

http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb2/clt486vl.txt.html

The same string except the third part. I stumbled on this board before on Stason but the layout is different.

Can anyone help me further and explain how this is possible?
I suppose the jumpersettings for the CLT486VL won't be the same so I'm not going to change them and guess some settings.

Reply 10 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update 😀

I finally bought a cheap multimeter yuy! I did some fiddling since I am a complete stranger to this but what is the best way to tackle the keyboard error now?

Anyone can help me with the identification of the motherboard? It runs my UMC fine but I would rather see it on the John Doe one.