VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
spiroyster wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

Aside from the ridiculous, inefficient, and awkward 3D file system browser, I thought their art department did a good job of making those scenes seem legitimately computer-y.

It's a real IRIX program

Yup, Fusion, or FSN...

As a result of those computers I ended up buying myself an SGI O2 with an empty HD. had to buy the OS separate. Ended up costing me about $600, used (back in mid-late 90s). Worth twice as much, to me (except I didn't have twice as much to spend).
Loved that little machine and Irix.

Reply 21 of 38, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Wait.. Was the asshole guy in Jurassic Park actually the asshole Newman from Seinfeld? 😲 Mind blown.

I love Newman. That was the only reason to watch Seinfeld.

Reply 22 of 38, by soundman1611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hamby wrote:
Yup, Fusion, or FSN... […]
Show full quote
spiroyster wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

Aside from the ridiculous, inefficient, and awkward 3D file system browser, I thought their art department did a good job of making those scenes seem legitimately computer-y.

It's a real IRIX program

Yup, Fusion, or FSN...

As a result of those computers I ended up buying myself an SGI O2 with an empty HD. had to buy the OS separate. Ended up costing me about $600, used (back in mid-late 90s). Worth twice as much, to me (except I didn't have twice as much to spend).
Loved that little machine and Irix.

As a programmer and someone with a strong background in security I have to say that it was both physically impressive, in that it kind of showed off the graphical swagger of the Macintosh. On top of that, the interfaces seemed to be very extensive and useful. Seeing a combination of Macs and Unix based terminals where they even used a system console made a lot of sense. In a large park like that it would make sense that a terminal would be used from time to time since there would most likely be thousands of sensors, cameras, locks, etc.

This brings me to this. I was put in charge of piecing together a security system for my church that involves both a burglar alarm as well as surveillance cameras, dvr, etc. Being the over the top programmer I am I decided to write the security software myself, which runs on a multi screen system at our sound booth. At first I had the idea of copying the Jurassic Park interface and utilizing it for this purpose. As I went deeper into that rabbit hole I realized that the interface actually makes sense, and I have been able to take very good advantage of it. Using a computer with two monitors allowed me to bring even more realism to the project. The device is linked into the building security system through a special input/output board, and the cameras are all IP cameras that feed into the same computer. Every status including opening of doors, setting off of motion detectors, and even motion detection from the cameras triggers the system and gives us the updates we need. A great feature is when someone is approaching the building during a service it gives us that "alert" on the main map, kind of like the alert that flashes up when the fences failed in the move. It catches our eyes and makes things convenient so we don't have to sit and watch the cameras like a hawk. Oh and it even has the console which is fully functional, I can actually add or modify cameras in the system, retrieve system status, etc.

Of course the interface is not exactly the same, for instance we have no need for vehicle tracking, so the part of the screen that shows the SUV is going to look different, most likely I will use that area to report "system status" which will give us status on system communication and alert us to things like cameras disconnecting or if there is an issue with connectivity to the security system.

Oh and unlike the movie, my video windows don't have progress bars running at the bottom, like when Nedry was talking to the guy on the dock (it was just a video clip).

As a programmer I am always paying close attention to what these movie set programmers are doing. Most of the time software tech in movies appear to be highly impractical and unrealistic. As unrealistic as a guy getting shot with one bullet and flying backwards through a window. Jurassic Park on the other hand had a nice level of realism.

Reply 23 of 38, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soundman1611 wrote:
As a programmer and someone with a strong background in security I have to say that it was both physically impressive, in that i […]
Show full quote

As a programmer and someone with a strong background in security I have to say that it was both physically impressive, in that it kind of showed off the graphical swagger of the Macintosh. On top of that, the interfaces seemed to be very extensive and useful. Seeing a combination of Macs and Unix based terminals where they even used a system console made a lot of sense. In a large park like that it would make sense that a terminal would be used from time to time since there would most likely be thousands of sensors, cameras, locks, etc.

This brings me to this. I was put in charge of piecing together a security system for my church that involves both a burglar alarm as well as surveillance cameras, dvr, etc. Being the over the top programmer I am I decided to write the security software myself, which runs on a multi screen system at our sound booth. At first I had the idea of copying the Jurassic Park interface and utilizing it for this purpose. As I went deeper into that rabbit hole I realized that the interface actually makes sense, and I have been able to take very good advantage of it. Using a computer with two monitors allowed me to bring even more realism to the project. The device is linked into the building security system through a special input/output board, and the cameras are all IP cameras that feed into the same computer. Every status including opening of doors, setting off of motion detectors, and even motion detection from the cameras triggers the system and gives us the updates we need. A great feature is when someone is approaching the building during a service it gives us that "alert" on the main map, kind of like the alert that flashes up when the fences failed in the move. It catches our eyes and makes things convenient so we don't have to sit and watch the cameras like a hawk. Oh and it even has the console which is fully functional, I can actually add or modify cameras in the system, retrieve system status, etc.

Of course the interface is not exactly the same, for instance we have no need for vehicle tracking, so the part of the screen that shows the SUV is going to look different, most likely I will use that area to report "system status" which will give us status on system communication and alert us to things like cameras disconnecting or if there is an issue with connectivity to the security system.

Oh and unlike the movie, my video windows don't have progress bars running at the bottom, like when Nedry was talking to the guy on the dock (it was just a video clip).

As a programmer I am always paying close attention to what these movie set programmers are doing. Most of the time software tech in movies appear to be highly impractical and unrealistic. As unrealistic as a guy getting shot with one bullet and flying backwards through a window. Jurassic Park on the other hand had a nice level of realism.

My mouth open, I'm drooling speechless!

Please tell me that you physically modified old computers' chassis to mimic the move even further! (and maybe emptied old huge beige CRT monitors and put inside of them the modern needed LCD screens you need, to make them seem like vintage).

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 26 of 38, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aries-mu wrote:
Warlord wrote:

says Silicon Graphics or SGI.

I didn't get that

the first Silicon graphics system is fairly easy to spot. It is an IRIS Indigo (Elan) and it is standing just behind the back of the guy that is sitting in the foreground. To it's left is a monitor that supposedly belongs to the Apple computer that stands even more to the left. The famous Crimson is located on the right edge of the picture and is only partially visible. On the desk beside it where the guy is sitting and staring at a monitor there is another Apple system. The Silicon Graphics systems may just be empty cases - at least they aren't switched on. This is easy to tell because the LEDs are off although they should be recognizable like the ones on the monitors or keyboards. All other equipment is unknown, the pizzaboxes could be Suns but I don't recognize the model. Most of the monitors shown in this room have an Silicon Graphics logo on them.

he next set of screenshots show the Crimson. This is as close as the camera gets to the system and as mentioned earlier the status LED is off indicating that the system is not running or not a real one at all.

source
http://www.sgistuff.net/funstuff/hollywood/jpark.html

This screenshot is quite interesting. It shows the monitor that is located next to the Crimson while the guys are trying to figure out what is wrong with the security system. Aside from the cube logo there are 2 interesting things to note:

In the shell window it says "Jurassic Park, System Security Interface Version 4.0.5, Alpha E". The version number is probably based on IRIX 4.0.5 which was the current version at the time of the movie. The window below is from gr_osview and this shows 4 CPU activity bars which means that it is definetly not running on the Crimson.

The picture on the left side is not part of the display, it is on the monitor as you could see on previous images.

Towards the end of the movie the kids use the computer to lock the doors. This is the great moment of fsn ("fusion") the File System Navigator which is a real demo application and was not written for the movie. A binary was available from the official Silicon Graphics website for a long time.

Reply 27 of 38, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:
the first Silicon graphics system is fairly easy to spot. It is an IRIS Indigo (Elan) and it is standing just behind the back of […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote:
Warlord wrote:

says Silicon Graphics or SGI.

I didn't get that

the first Silicon graphics system is fairly easy to spot. It is an IRIS Indigo (Elan) and it is standing just behind the back of the guy that is sitting in the foreground. To it's left is a monitor that supposedly belongs to the Apple computer that stands even more to the left. The famous Crimson is located on the right edge of the picture and is only partially visible. On the desk beside it where the guy is sitting and staring at a monitor there is another Apple system. The Silicon Graphics systems may just be empty cases - at least they aren't switched on. This is easy to tell because the LEDs are off although they should be recognizable like the ones on the monitors or keyboards. All other equipment is unknown, the pizzaboxes could be Suns but I don't recognize the model. Most of the monitors shown in this room have an Silicon Graphics logo on them.

he next set of screenshots show the Crimson. This is as close as the camera gets to the system and as mentioned earlier the status LED is off indicating that the system is not running or not a real one at all.

source
http://www.sgistuff.net/funstuff/hollywood/jpark.html

This screenshot is quite interesting. It shows the monitor that is located next to the Crimson while the guys are trying to figure out what is wrong with the security system. Aside from the cube logo there are 2 interesting things to note:

In the shell window it says "Jurassic Park, System Security Interface Version 4.0.5, Alpha E". The version number is probably based on IRIX 4.0.5 which was the current version at the time of the movie. The window below is from gr_osview and this shows 4 CPU activity bars which means that it is definetly not running on the Crimson.

The picture on the left side is not part of the display, it is on the monitor as you could see on previous images.

Towards the end of the movie the kids use the computer to lock the doors. This is the great moment of fsn ("fusion") the File System Navigator which is a real demo application and was not written for the movie. A binary was available from the official Silicon Graphics website for a long time.

wow, thanks!

Reply 28 of 38, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But you know that On June 9, Silicon Graphics, Inc. announced that director Steven Spielberg's film "Jurassic Park" marks the first time 3D graphics computers are an integral part of a major motion picture. Released June 11, 1993, "Jurassic Park" is based on Michael Crichton's best selling novel about dinosaurs that are genetically recreated for the ultimate theme park. Both on-screen and behind the scenes, Silicon Graphics' computer systems are used extensively to add scientific realism to the film.

Reply 29 of 38, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

But you know that On June 9, Silicon Graphics, Inc. announced that director Steven Spielberg's film "Jurassic Park" marks the first time 3D graphics computers are an integral part of a major motion picture. Released June 11, 1993, "Jurassic Park" is based on Michael Crichton's best selling novel about dinosaurs that are genetically recreated for the ultimate theme park. Both on-screen and behind the scenes, Silicon Graphics' computer systems are used extensively to add scientific realism to the film.

Fantastic, I didn't know that! Thanks again

Reply 31 of 38, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

welcome, I didn't know also, but I would know the SGI logo from anywhere.

oh yeah!

Reply 33 of 38, by soundman1611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aries-mu wrote:
soundman1611 wrote:
As a programmer and someone with a strong background in security I have to say that it was both physically impressive, in that i […]
Show full quote

My mouth open, I'm drooling speechless!

Please tell me that you physically modified old computers' chassis to mimic the move even further! (and maybe emptied old huge beige CRT monitors and put inside of them the modern needed LCD screens you need, to make them seem like vintage).

No running on regular HD lcd monitors, so the proportions are different but the basic layout is generally the same. If I used old CRT monitors I would have never gutted them but simply purchased whatever adapters needed and used them as is. Actually I have a computer in my house that uses an old Apple CRT monitor that is connected to a PC that is a Hackintosh. That took like I think three adapters connected in a row, plus I had to purchase an app that gives me the ability to set custom monitor timings and such to even make it work at all, because OSX didn't detect the monitor properly. I would have done CRT but we don't have enough room in the sound booth to fit them.

Reply 34 of 38, by soundman1611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here it is guys, still a work in progress but so far it's fully functional. The Real Jurassic Park security system, wired in with our building security system and surveillance cameras.

Programmed by me and 100% real, nothing simulated.

https://youtu.be/dX99s8Mfv2Q

Reply 36 of 38, by soundman1611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-01-08, 02:41:

Wow I'm speechless at how awesome that system is. Seriously amazing job

The funny thing is, at first we used this free program called iSpy. Despite it being free, it's supposed to be a pretty good program. It was terrible, the frames per second on the video was 8 or 9 at best (the cameras provide 20fps). Recording was very unstable. That's when I just decided to do something myself. It turns out that just about every IP camera on the market has it's own recording function with motion detection. All you have to do is point each camera to a network drive and configure the motion detection. So the program I wrote doesn't actually record, but it monitors each individual recording folder. When a camera begins recording, my app detects the change in the folder which triggers the motion detection. The video is a constant 20 frames per second, even when I run the feeds at HD.

Reply 37 of 38, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Color me impressed!

(And a little sad there's no John Williams or any audio at all in your video, but that might have earned you a copyright strike).

Looking forward to "ah-ah-ah, you didn't say the magic word..." 😁

I'm gonna have to assume you've obsessively watched those scenes from the movie and visited https://jurassicsystems.com/ to help make this happen 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 38 of 38, by soundman1611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-01-08, 07:07:
Color me impressed! […]
Show full quote

Color me impressed!

(And a little sad there's no John Williams or any audio at all in your video, but that might have earned you a copyright strike).

Looking forward to "ah-ah-ah, you didn't say the magic word..." 😁

I'm gonna have to assume you've obsessively watched those scenes from the movie and visited https://jurassicsystems.com/ to help make this happen 😀

Yeah the Jurassic Systems site had a lot to do with it, didn't have to rewatch the movie too much.