VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I ran across a local ad for some old computers.

I have attached the photos from his ad.

He says that he is selling an IBM 5153 monitor, IBM 5155 portable computer with carrying bag and manuals (that's what he says it is, but it does look quite right to me as the monitor appears to be on the wrong side), a Tandy 2500 SX/33, a Tandy 1000 (not sure which model), a Tandy VGM-225 monitor, and some printers (I'm not really interested in the printers).

He says that they have not been used in 25-30 years. He is a bit unclear on what works and what does not. He does say that the IBM 5155 turns on for a couple of seconds then turns off. He claims that the IBM 5153 works and he "thinks" the Tandy computers work, but he won't test them.

What do you think these computers are worth, both in working and non-working order?

I did some pricing based on eBay sold listings, but I wanted to get some opinions here before I go take a look at them.

I plan to go see them on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• comps4.jpeg
    Filename
    comps4.jpeg
    File size
    56.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • comps3.jpeg
    Filename
    comps3.jpeg
    File size
    114.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • comps2.jpeg
    Filename
    comps2.jpeg
    File size
    50.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • comps1.jpeg
    Filename
    comps1.jpeg
    File size
    40.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not tested or non working order, will make prices drop some 70 to 80 percent, compared to the current market value on working machines. If you ask me.

Of course, a fully working and cosmetically mint condition, plus fully clean system takes a premium price.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 10, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you know whether you'll be able to test these when you go see them?

If you don't get any opportunity to test them before purchasing, I think I'd be perfectly reasonable to lowball it.

Reply 3 of 10, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd pay $150 maybe $200 for the lot. The IBM 5155 appears to be upside down in the photo. The Tandy 1000 looks like a 1000TX with an added 5.25" floppy or a 1000SX with an added 3.5" floppy. If it's a TX it's got the 8MHz 286 and is the fastest of "original" PCjr compatible models.

Reply 4 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't quantify the amount but I would pay a GOOD DEAL if they are in working condition. I would also like to look at their interiors for usual suspect defects.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.ido wrote:

I'd pay $150 maybe $200 for the lot. The IBM 5155 appears to be upside down in the photo. The Tandy 1000 looks like a 1000TX with an added 5.25" floppy or a 1000SX with an added 3.5" floppy. If it's a TX it's got the 8MHz 286 and is the fastest of "original" PCjr compatible models.

I was thinking the same thing $150-200, mostly due to the untested condition. Except even at those prices I doubt I would take the risk because I don’t need an additional 3 long term projects right now.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 7 of 10, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The guy is currently asking $425 for the lot, which is too high.

He also has the IBM 5153 and 5155 priced at $125 for both (they would be included in the entire lot price as well).

I'm going to try and test them when I get there.

Per the seller, the only one that he knows does not work properly is the 5155.

Assuming that the others boot fine, I was thinking probably $250 max.

The one piece that I don't want to pass up is the 5153 monitor as I need a CGA monitor.

Hopefully the guy is reasonable.

We'll see.

Thanks.

Reply 9 of 10, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, so I went and checked out the computers. I ended up buying the Tandy 1000, Tandy 2500, Tandy monitor, the IBM 5153 color monitor and the software.

The 5155 was completely dead, so I left that. I also did not take the dot matrix printers.

I tested the two Tandy computers and the monitors and they worked perfectly. Everything is also in very good cosmetic condition.

I'm not going to say what I paid, but it was within the ranges noted above. I don't think I got an amazing deal, but, based on eBay sales, especially with no shipping costs involved, I think I did well.

If anyone wants the dead 5155 and the dot matrix printers, and you live in the CT or MA area, take a look at Letgo and search for "computer". He said he would trash the 5155, but I told him to please not trash it as I'm sure someone would like it. He said he would hang onto it a bit longer.

Thanks.

Reply 10 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If he was going to trash it, you should have asked him if he was ok giving it to you 😁

There is a chance it only needs fresh caps

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative